There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Life changing

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The opportunity to take time out of your life to learn about others is phenomenal. We're there as ambassadors; learning about the people we're there for. The developing world is doing just that, developing.

Cons

The program itself is lacking; being there under the countries expectations is only appropriate if the country wants Peace Corps to develop and support. Not supplement what the country doesn't retain.

Advice to Management

Change the program already, JFK understood the importance of change.

reviews filtered by
  1. A small dysfunctional federal bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a staff member, civil service salaries and benefits are the best in the nation. As a volunteer in the field, the experience is usually very positive thanks to host country people.

Cons

Too many unqualified political appointees at HQ. Overseas staff not always well-qualified, resulting in hardships for volunteers. Very little oversight in Washington or overseas offices.

Advice to Management

Listen to volunteers. Focus on quality management for the long-term. Cut the bs.

2. Toughest job you'll ever love

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Autonomy to explore any projects and careers that you want, learn language and culture, be able to work with local communities and share their culture.

Cons

Lots of alone time or time drinking coffee with your neighbors watching dust blow by.

Advice to Management

It would be great if training provided more skills in emotional intelligence skills or sessions in the soft skills... I also wish they spoke more about the political decisions of why some countries and sites are chosen.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps