Peace Corps

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Rewarding but challenging

Former Employee - TEFL Volunteer
Former Employee - TEFL Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to live abroad, they really take care of you, get to learn a new language, you'll always have a good story in future interviews.

Cons

You can get stuck in a bad situation. Peace Corps isn't very responsive to individual volunteers needs if their name is on the line.

There should be better feedback mechanisms for discontent. I and other volunteers felt very shut out at time, especially with legitimate isses.

436 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

A small dysfunctional federal bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a staff member, civil service salaries and benefits are the best in the nation. As a volunteer in the field, the experience is usually very positive thanks to host country people.

Cons

Too many unqualified political appointees at HQ. Overseas staff not always well-qualified, resulting in hardships for volunteers. Very little oversight in Washington or overseas offices.

Listen to volunteers. Focus on quality management for the long-term. Cut the bs.

Life changing

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

The opportunity to take time out of your life to learn about others is phenomenal. We're there as ambassadors; learning about the people we're there for. The developing world is doing just that, developing.

Cons

The program itself is lacking; being there under the countries expectations is only appropriate if the country wants Peace Corps to develop and support. Not supplement what the country doesn't retain.

Change the program already, JFK understood the importance of change.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps