There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser
Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Apart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

Cons

Other cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

386 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Intern

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The communications team at the organizations is comprised of top notch people who will give you a plenty of opportunities to learn more. The office culture was interesting because you get to interact with people who are passionate about improving the world.

Cons

The process for obtaining the security clearance was a bit cumbersome and definitely required a significant amount of persistence. Generally, the office felt a bit sterile.

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

If you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

Cons

The organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!