There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

very rewarding - hardships are nuanced and location-specific

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

freedom to develop projects; interesting areas; lots of personal growth; opportunities to travel and meet interesting people

Cons

resources, lack of support, very bureaucratic (it's a government agency); high turn-over among leaders and volunteers, often vague and ambiguous expectations

spend more time on the ground with volunteers.

reviews filtered by
  1. There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser
    Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Apart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

Cons

Other cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

2. Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Travel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

Cons

Limited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps