There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Best experience of my life

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A unique opportunity to live in another culture, experience a world apart from your own, and face and overcome some of the most challenging situations you will ever face.

Cons

The life of a PCV can be lonely. In addition, many volunteers go to Peace Corps with a goal of doing "something" for the host community. My experience was that this was more of a relationship building and personal growth experience than a development experience.

386 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Wonderful experience of truly living in another country, however Peace Corps provided little positive support.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to learn a new language and understand a different culture the way many will never get the opportunity to. It provides you with great independence and the opportunity to work on leadership and project development skills (which are great for a variety of future careers). The monthly stipend you receive is enough to let you live in the village you're in, but if you plan on traveling around you will need to come with some money from home.

Cons

Just like working with any government agency, there are many rules and regulations in place. I personally lived in a smaller country so I had a lot of unwanted control on my projects and schedules. Usually if you are working for an organization, it is expected that you have management and supervision from superiors. However, because you are told to be independent and to be an individual volunteer in your respective communities, it is hard to truly make an impact and do projects that you think will benefit your community when you feel constricted my Peace Corps' regulations and management. The amount of control you feel from your supervisors differs from the type of person is staffed there at the time. It may be worthwhile, before accepting your invitation to the country, to ask people currently serving there now about their opinion of the director and program managers.

environmental volunteer, South America

Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer
    Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in Peace Corps ensures a unique experience and opportunities to learn new skills that you may otherwise not have had the opportunity to learn like a second language, grant writing, project management, etc. There is also the chance to truly connect with another culture and people.

Cons

There are countless challenges for volunteers including but not limited to: being sick often, lower standards of hygiene, struggling with a new language, feelings of isolation or not having enough privacy, missing everything from home - people, pets, food, music and more. Also getting used to a new culture with different values which can sometimes be hard for an American and the slow pace of project development in rural or smaller sites. Aside from these things coming home after the 2 years can be stressful - Adjusting back to American life and looking for a job

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!