There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Challenging experience, sometimes rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

A great way to understand development work and the intricacy of poverty. The program provides support to individuals who would not have the opportunity/network otherwise.

Cons

The healthcare (while claimed to be great) has sometimes been spotty in many cases. Also, as a government organization -- change is slow to be made.

PCVs should not have to extend credit to the US Government. Please improve the reimbursement process, or better yet, make sure that funds are available in advance.

386 Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps (View Most Recent)

Great place to explore the world

Current Employee - English Teacher  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

People in my country were very happy to work with me
    Opportunities for leadership
    Wonderful co-workers - both local colleagues, other peace corps volunteers, and other international volunteers
    Good support with language and cultural training
    Respect and support of in-country staff
    Making a positive difference

Cons

Health issues
    Harsh climate
    Unreliable schedules
    While abroad, lose connections and friends back in USA - difficult to keep up
    Missing country of service after leaving to go back to USA

The most important thing you can do is have great, sympathetic in-country staff. Choose and train them well. they made a lot of difference for me.

Travel to college campuses to convince people to live abroad for 2 years below the poverty line.

Former Employee - Regional Recruiter  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Regional Recruiter in Denver, CO

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Government position that is designed to take care of you. It will not make you rich but you live comfortably. Lots of travel to college campuses where your name is recognized easily by students and faculty. I really enjoyed making the presentations and talking about my past experiences.

Cons

5 year work limit forced high turnover. Repetitive presentations and working alone place pressure on you to change the material but not permitted. Government management isn't always up to par. Strange government spending regulations make travel sometimes challenging. Small budget compared to other departments.

Concentrate on continuity of the program rather than "making your mark" during the few years that you are there. Make changes where needed and quickly but don't make drastic alterations to the infrastructure for short term fixes (i.e. making the budget)

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!