PeaceHealth

www.peacehealth.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for PeaceHealth

An amazing environment in which to work, but management needs work.

Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Bellingham, WA
Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at PeaceHealth

Pros

The managers immediately above most entry- or medium-level jobs are amazing. I have never met so many people who are supportive of staff - whether in their own department or another - and quick to offer praise, congratulations or constructive criticism. The joke in most health care facilities is that the staff all drive somewhere else when they get sick, but in St. Joseph's, I would (and have) check in as a patient in a heartbeat.

Cons

The benefits aren't wonderful. Imaging, such as an MRI, is currently (as of January '09) covered at 80%... but an MRI can easily range $3500-5000. Prescription drug coverage is better, but you almost have to get everything through the mail from the Oregon pharmacy. All blood work and other diagnostic tests have to be ordered by your primary care physician, or else they're covered at a much lower rate.

Senior management - several levels above me - is not very good at communicating to the staff. Occasional memos regarding the economy pale in comparison to things like complete overhauls to training regimens that aren't communicated at all - until you need to request training.

We need increased transparency and a willingness to share information with the staff, so we feel like we know what is going on. It's unnerving to feel like decisions are being made about us without us being aware. I don't need to be consulted on everything - there's a reason you're our management team - but it would be nice to know what you're doing and how it may affect us more frequently.

74 Other Employee Reviews for PeaceHealth (View Most Recent)

PeaceHealth is doing a lot of things right

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Eugene, OR

I have been working at PeaceHealth

Pros

Satisfying work, attention to the "mission" of caring for the disadvantaged. Good benefits that include the option of adding health insurance for a"significant other" be it an elderly parent, disabled adult child, or domestic partner. Eugene is also a great place to live.

Cons

Layers of middle management that sometimes seem to focus on procedural issues to the detriment of the day to day functioning. Our department seems to go through a manager a year. The ones that seemed to work effectively on department issues ran into difficulty in the hierarchy.

The bottom line is important, but don't forget about the mission.

Hospital's heart is in the right place, but processes could stand improvement.

Current Employee - Staffing Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Staffing Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at PeaceHealth

Pros

From the first day I started work I felt that the people I worked with were both professional and human and willing to engage both in their jobs. I was expected to perform my job and reminded if I made mistakes, while simultaneously reminded that I was still new and mistakes were expected. As I grew into my position, my immediate superiors allowed me to expand my own sphere of responsibility within my department and take on new projects as I saw fit. As an aside, if you are covered under the contract (an RN), you have a number of unique benefits, including guaranteed annual raises, seniority and rules governing how (and how often) the hospital can call you in or send you home.

Cons

They are short staffed at the time of this review on the clinical side of operations, which creates tension between the nursing staff (RNs, LPNs, and CNAs) and the administration. Nurses feel things need to change, and while management says they are working on plans for change, we only hear about them randomly - usually in response to a direct question from a staff member to an administrator. There is very little top-down communication to the staff letting them know that their concerns are valid and what, if any, ideas are being formulated. This appears to be systemic or process-related as individual administrators I've spoken with are generally very forthcoming with information and express genuine concern for the situation. As an organization, however, they have failed to make any such comments to the staff, leaving many of them (some who have been there for 25 years or more) feeling out of the loop and unvalued.

Improve communication with staff from the ground up. What information is available seems to trickle down - a nurse hears something from a manager and it eventually makes its way around the hospital, or a scheduler hears something from an executive and passes it on themselves to other staff. That's no way to keep staff informed, and an informed staff feels like they are part of the process. Additionally, management should look into the way the lab is run. Currently we can only test for C. Dif. on mondays, wednesdays and fridays without special arrangements being made at the executive level. Hospitals in Seattle have a 30-minute turn around test. Finally, our unit coordinators are totally underutilized. Many of them have skills from other hospitals such as admitting, scheduling and management skills that could save us time and money. Why is the hospital paying nurses to admit patients to floors in every unit except the Emergency Department?

There are newer employer reviews for PeaceHealth