There are newer employer reviews for PeaceHealth

PeaceHealth is doing a lot of things right

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner  in  Eugene, OR
Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Eugene, OR

I have been working at PeaceHealth

Pros

Satisfying work, attention to the "mission" of caring for the disadvantaged. Good benefits that include the option of adding health insurance for a"significant other" be it an elderly parent, disabled adult child, or domestic partner. Eugene is also a great place to live.

Cons

Layers of middle management that sometimes seem to focus on procedural issues to the detriment of the day to day functioning. Our department seems to go through a manager a year. The ones that seemed to work effectively on department issues ran into difficulty in the hierarchy.

The bottom line is important, but don't forget about the mission.

55 Other Employee Reviews for PeaceHealth (View Most Recent)

Hospital's heart is in the right place, but processes could stand improvement.

Current Employee - Staffing Clerk  in  Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Staffing Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at PeaceHealth

Pros

From the first day I started work I felt that the people I worked with were both professional and human and willing to engage both in their jobs. I was expected to perform my job and reminded if I made mistakes, while simultaneously reminded that I was still new and mistakes were expected. As I grew into my position, my immediate superiors allowed me to expand my own sphere of responsibility within my department and take on new projects as I saw fit. As an aside, if you are covered under the contract (an RN), you have a number of unique benefits, including guaranteed annual raises, seniority and rules governing how (and how often) the hospital can call you in or send you home.

Cons

They are short staffed at the time of this review on the clinical side of operations, which creates tension between the nursing staff (RNs, LPNs, and CNAs) and the administration. Nurses feel things need to change, and while management says they are working on plans for change, we only hear about them randomly - usually in response to a direct question from a staff member to an administrator. There is very little top-down communication to the staff letting them know that their concerns are valid and what, if any, ideas are being formulated. This appears to be systemic or process-related as individual administrators I've spoken with are generally very forthcoming with information and express genuine concern for the situation. As an organization, however, they have failed to make any such comments to the staff, leaving many of them (some who have been there for 25 years or more) feeling out of the loop and unvalued.

Improve communication with staff from the ground up. What information is available seems to trickle down - a nurse hears something from a manager and it eventually makes its way around the hospital, or a scheduler hears something from an executive and passes it on themselves to other staff. That's no way to keep staff informed, and an informed staff feels like they are part of the process. Additionally, management should look into the way the lab is run. Currently we can only test for C. Dif. on mondays, wednesdays and fridays without special arrangements being made at the executive level. Hospitals in Seattle have a 30-minute turn around test. Finally, our unit coordinators are totally underutilized. Many of them have skills from other hospitals such as admitting, scheduling and management skills that could save us time and money. Why is the hospital paying nurses to admit patients to floors in every unit except the Emergency Department?

Leadership is doing a poor job of leading

I have been working at PeaceHealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees in general work hard and strive to provide the best health care possible.

Cons

Upper management seems totally focused on revenue and has become rudderless in motivating the employees. They've forced ALL IT staff to reapply for their jobs in an almost comical attempt to reduce head count. This is done instead of letting the employees who have poor performance. And they hide behind hired consultants to take the blame for their incompetence. It's very sad, as with the right leadership this could be a great company.
    Culture and values used to be good (this is a non-profit Catholic company), but the drive for revenue has taken precedence over all else.
    HR has become a group who's only purpose is to serve upper management.

Stop with all the politics and spend some time to understand what the real issues are. You've got some great employees who are capable of doing great things if only management did their job and inspired them, as great leaders do.

There are newer employer reviews for PeaceHealth

Worked for PeaceHealth? Contribute to the Community!