Pearson

www.pearson.com
  www.pearson.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Tough times, but don't lose the best people in the process of prudent management decisions.

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The company culture is good, the location and virtual nature of the work is very good.

Cons

Compensation is low relative to other companies in the area.

They should evaluate pay based on other companies in the geographic location. In this case, the pay is quite low relative to other companies in the Bay Area. So, people stay because they like the job and culture, but as the pay gap grows, it becomes increasingly hard to justify staying at the company. Of course, that may be impacted by the current economic environment, but a recovery will happen and jobs will open up in the not-to-distant future.

875 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

Great place to work if you believe in the cause.. but be aware that not all departments are created equal

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Aside from good benefits and a nice working atmosphere (good people), I enjoy working at Pearson because of my idealistic view that we are providing products to help students learn. Providing useful and innovative content is a major bonus, and Pearson is willing to put money and effort into finding people to help create powerful technology to help students learn and to help instructors teach. I have also found my managers at Pearson to be open to suggestions for improvement, willing to support my ideas, and they have always been fair and decent. In addition, I am constantly happy to see groups in my area looking to fill positions with existing people; internal promotions happen often.

Cons

There is an inadequate amout of people to get all the work done as best as it could, so people that want to be rated highly often need to put in a lot of extra time and effort. Also, some departments are more together than others-- end up working for the wrong department (like custom, for instance) and you could nearly lose your mind.

There also seem to be some areas of the company that aren't able to be as innovative as we need to be in order to become a leading EDUCATIONAL (not just publishing) company. I think another downside of Pearson is that there isn't very much time for fun anymore; you don't see groups getting together for drinks after work (something I did at previous jobs) or even getting together for lunch often.

Future stability and growth requires us to look at new ways to be involved on the web. We need to find ways to integrate with the mobile world, not just tolerate it... not just have a few web pages.. but to totally and completely engage. I would like to see more open knowledge sharing across divisions and imprints so that we can all learn from each other's research, mistakes, and ideas. Especially tap into our younger employees who have grown up online.. they will have ideas! Offer bonuses for best ideas? Allow employees to nominate themselves (and apply) to go to conferences or symposiums sponsored by or for Pearson-- you may find some hidden gems within our walls (as I have as a manager). Don't let them disappear!

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Time off and benefits are nice. The work is rewarding and always provides something different everyday. There are people here who have worked for 20 years plus, showing how great it is to work here.

Cons

Lack of communication between different departments is troublesome.

More bonuses for meeting and beating expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson