There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Frozen in bureaucracy. Heading towards antiquity.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Giant company with lots of resources.
Has a lot of influence in the education market.
Potential for innovative products.

Cons

Suffers from big bureaucracy and many layers of management. Top-down decision making jerks projects around or freezes them altogether via indecision. Frequent reorganizations. Don't provide people with the tools to do their jobs. Lots of people I worked with used their own laptops, software and tablets in order to get things done. Process heavy.

Give some authority and resources to the people closest to the problems and products. They have a much better idea what to do than managers 2 and 3 levels up. Listen to your employees. Give more emphasis to results and less to process.

803 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

Pleasant worklife, but little direction

Former Employee - Print Production  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Print Production in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible in terms of hours and ability to work remotely. Talented staff interested in doing good work.

Cons

Constant department shuffling. A new, company-shaking restructuring every two years. Little thought given to developing employees' skill sets.

The tumultuous changes during my time at Pearson, while necessary, are utterly bewildering to the rank and file. I feel that layoffs of entire swaths of employees seemed to be the first resort, rather than having the foresight to assess employees' skills and figuring out which ones might be asked to take on new responsibilities.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pearson is full of talented people who are friendly, direct, and always pushing for results. Pearson's product line is outstanding and a leader in the industry. I love working for a company that has a positive impact on the world we live in.

Cons

I hear some people say, "Well that's the way we've always done it" or they are hesitant to change. There are only a few of these people but not having an open mind, will prevent the company from growing.

Keep on doing what you are doing. There are checks and balances with this company that keep it and the employees in line, focused on results and driving the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!