Pearson

www.pearson.com

The leader in educational publishing, but doesn't seem to be moving fast enough in today's world

Current Employee - Senior Editor  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Editor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Pretty lax on vacation
Great products, especially compared to competition
If you seek out good mentors, you can find them
Industry leader

Cons

Too big...decisions take a very long time
Slow to move from analog to digital, although trying
No office "perks"
Low Pay, or perhaps pay division (my direct reports made pennies and I felt horrible about it)
I was promoted relatively fast, but many in my division went 3-4 years with no promotion

Improve the sales force
Increase salaries
don't make it so hard to get promoted
Hire more women in mgmt roles

Other reviews for Pearson

So much potential, so many obstacles to success

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Produces many great educational resources, awesome flexible work policies and benefits, but individual supervisors can decide to deny these at will and employees have little recourse. Pay is reasonable, though lagging behind inflation in recent years.

Cons

Due to multiple mergers and re-orgs in the last 6 years, too many divergent systems, lack of communication among departments and divisions. Not enough resources, especially staff to get the job done well. Not enough focus on customer. No clear way to deal with a bully boss who is not supervised closely enough. I enjoyed working here more in the first few years than I do now. Sales goals and comp plans have changed to make it challenging to achieve the same income I did a few years ago.

Hurry up with the standardization of systems, IT, processes. The cufstomers won't wait for us to get out act together. We've already angered too many of them.

Great place to learn new skills and if you like restructures. Great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Good intelligent people. Great talent in non management positions. Cafeteria in building with good food. Nice building appearance. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Always restructuring, poor communication across departments,teams. No room for advancement. too much drama and office politics on top of stress. Air condition does not work properly. Leadership out of state. Training given by web ex with inexperienced trainers. If not famiar with processes will drown. Favoritism among management.

Keep good talent. Get rid of layers of leadership. Invest in loyal talented employees. Always learning slogan apply it to employees. Great company to grow with but not only with years of service but on a personal level. Too many chiefs and too little indians

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!