There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Very corporate, lots of bureaucracy and micro-managing.

Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Glenview, IL
Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with education professionals is much less stressful than other groups, such as medical/pharmaceutical types. If you do make your sales quota, the compensation is good.

Cons

Compensation is only paid out annually, and targets can often be unreasonably high. There is no consideration given to the loss of business to corporate book stores (such as Follett and Barnes & Noble), despite the fact that much of this loss of business is outside the control of the sales rep. The company used to be much more relaxed, imaginative, and creative. However as it has grown larger, it has become more corporate and almost entirely focused on profits over people. Turnover grew tremendously in my last year with the company, with many talented individuals leaving to join a competitor like Cengage or McGraw Hill.

reviews filtered by

Excellent Company!

Former Intern - Global Project Management Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - Global Project Management Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pearson as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Had a great time working there, company commited to diversity very flexible in terms of hours of work and very nice and supportive upper management.

Cons

Sometimes seems you are working for a public division. Process become slow as people have more flexibility to work according to their convenience. In terms of career opportunities they seem to have a great internship program but after you are gone out of company human resource does not keep any track of former interns or even mak much effort in retaining employees. Human Resource department is very desintegrated and does not work well.

Focus on improving human resources effort and centralizing activities instead of keeping each office working independently.

2. Temp

Former Employee - Assembly in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assembly in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Pearson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In about a month of working at Pearson I began training to be promoted to line leader. They really appreciate hard work and they reward it!

Cons

I was let go after a month because of a policy enforced by HR dept. My managers all had a meeting with HR to keep me on my job but HR wouldn't budge.

I feel that the managers and higher ups should have say in which employees remain with company despite a minor attendance policy issue. If the managers are fighting to keep an employee and are trying to promote that employee then let them use their discretion to make the right decision. Besides that I have nothing to say bad about this company because it is an awesome company that does a lot for its workers. Once an individual is hired on full-time the benefits are great and all of that so I hope they keep doing what they are doing and never change the integrity of the company by getting money hungry or downplaying those who've been through it with them!

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson