Pearson

www.pearson.com
  www.pearson.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

A wonderful place to work if your willing to work hard.

Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Glenview, IL
Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, access to upper level management and transition to other positions

Cons

Glenview office is hard to get to on public transportation

redecorate the office its horrible

873 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

The 3 Ns: No money, Nepotism & No Respect (White Plains office)

Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, work at home if weather is bad, nice colleagues, office situated in good location

Cons

The money is terrible. I had a Master's degree & I was making in the low 40s.

Nepotism is rampant. Anyone related to the bigger bosses, despite if they were productive employees, kept their jobs...while others, who were hard workers and often re-did the unproductive workers' work, were laid off. What I've come to realize is the good workers were laid off because: 1) any woman without children over age 30 was laid off (if you had a kid and paraded her/him around the office, you were golden) 2) ageism - anyone over age 30 was laid off (Pearson doesn't pay for excellent work from "older employees.")

What bothered me most in particular was during the hiring process, HR says: "If you're a good employee, we'll keep you." However, all the excellent, hardworking editors were laid off. Thus, Pearson does not invest in its employees.

The managing editors in the White Plains office were great. However, the director of my department didn't even know the basic rules of grammar...and she was overseeing editors!

Overall, Pearson does not respect its best workers. Instead, if you do well here, but you don't have an "in" or you're over 30 without children they will find a way to get rid of you. Beware.

Also, I found their system archaic. They still print everything out, instead of saving money and reading on computers and utilizing editing tools such as Track Changes.

Stop hiring your childhood friends for the executive positions. When I was there, one of the highest executives made a $1 million mistake, just because he didn't know anything about the publishing business. He got the job by being "best friends" with one of the highest positions in the company.

Go out on the floor and see which employees really shine. You'll be shocked and realize why Pearson is failing.

Rotten management and no work ethics

Current Employee - Editorial Project Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Editorial Project Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time, colleagues are fun to work with

Cons

The management has no clue on how to handle the business. Their constant travelling, implementing consistent process changes that lead to nothing, and no attention to content or content management has led to a swift decline of author-publisher relationships and general product quality. While staff at middle management and junior staff works consistently to meet goals and make sure that authors are being heard, non-empowerment at this level leads to constant bottlenecks, making all products - digital and print LATE! We keep expecting authors to submit manuscripts on time when we barely pay heed to their ideas or opinions on the market.

Let us not even delve into the subject of salaries or motivation, because these things are purely fictitious at Pearson Education. While most work gets done just because the middle management is very mindful of their work ethic, there is hardly ANY salary increase on an annual basis. Promotions and opportunities are meant for people are who close to their managers or higher management and everyone else who is more talented and hard working is just biding time till they find better jobs that they truly deserve.

WAKE UP!