There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

I love this company

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer  in  Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work environment, supportive and encouraging people, interesting work, commitments to both quality and ethics, fabulous work/life balance, understanding management, opportunities to stretch myself, supportive of continuing education and professional development

Cons

While open to change, change is slow, probably because this is a large company.

792 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

A wonderful place to work if your willing to work hard.

Former Employee - Publisher's Representative  in  Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Glenview, IL

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, access to upper level management and transition to other positions

Cons

Glenview office is hard to get to on public transportation

redecorate the office its horrible

The 3 Ns: No money, Nepotism & No Respect (White Plains office)

Former Employee - Editor  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, work at home if weather is bad, nice colleagues, office situated in good location

Cons

The money is terrible. I had a Master's degree & I was making in the low 40s.

Nepotism is rampant. Anyone related to the bigger bosses, despite if they were productive employees, kept their jobs...while others, who were hard workers and often re-did the unproductive workers' work, were laid off. What I've come to realize is the good workers were laid off because: 1) any woman without children over age 30 was laid off (if you had a kid and paraded her/him around the office, you were golden) 2) ageism - anyone over age 30 was laid off (Pearson doesn't pay for excellent work from "older employees.")

What bothered me most in particular was during the hiring process, HR says: "If you're a good employee, we'll keep you." However, all the excellent, hardworking editors were laid off. Thus, Pearson does not invest in its employees.

The managing editors in the White Plains office were great. However, the director of my department didn't even know the basic rules of grammar...and she was overseeing editors!

Overall, Pearson does not respect its best workers. Instead, if you do well here, but you don't have an "in" or you're over 30 without children they will find a way to get rid of you. Beware.

Also, I found their system archaic. They still print everything out, instead of saving money and reading on computers and utilizing editing tools such as Track Changes.

Stop hiring your childhood friends for the executive positions. When I was there, one of the highest executives made a $1 million mistake, just because he didn't know anything about the publishing business. He got the job by being "best friends" with one of the highest positions in the company.

Go out on the floor and see which employees really shine. You'll be shocked and realize why Pearson is failing.

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!