Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance Intelligent employees Opportunities to advance within the many companies within Pearson across the world Competitive salary with very obtainable bonuses

Cons

Clear hierarchy within the company

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

The 3 Ns: No money, Nepotism & No Respect (White Plains office)

Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, work at home if weather is bad, nice colleagues, office situated in good location

Cons

The money is terrible. I had a Master's degree & I was making in the low 40s. Nepotism is rampant. Anyone related to the bigger bosses, despite if they were productive employees, kept their jobs...while others, who were hard workers and often re-did the unproductive workers' work, were laid off. What I've come to realize is the good workers were laid off because: 1) any woman without children over age 30 was laid off (if you had a kid and paraded her/him around the office, you were golden) 2) ageism - anyone over age 30 was laid off (Pearson doesn't pay for excellent work from "older employees.") What bothered me most in particular was during the hiring process, HR says: "If you're a good employee, we'll keep you." However, all the excellent, hardworking editors were laid off. Thus, Pearson does not invest in its employees. The managing editors in the White Plains office were great. However, the director of my department didn't even know the basic rules of grammar...and she was overseeing editors! Overall, Pearson does not respect its best workers. Instead, if you do well here, but you don't have an "in" or you're over 30 without children they will find a way to get rid of you. Beware. Also, I found their system archaic. They still print everything out, instead of saving money and reading on computers and utilizing editing tools such as Track Changes.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your childhood friends for the executive positions. When I was there, one of the highest executives made a $1 million mistake, just because he didn't know anything about the publishing business. He got the job by being "best friends" with one of the highest positions in the company. Go out on the floor and see which employees really shine. You'll be shocked and realize why Pearson is failing.

Editorial Assitant

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people, ability to actually work on some real projects.

Cons

Terrible pay. I mean terrible.

Advice to Management

Understand that people need to make a living wage and you've got smart, talented people in lower level positions that really do want to work, want to make a difference. Don't just have them make copies and file things.