Pearson

www.pearson.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

The 3 Ns: No money, Nepotism & No Respect (White Plains office)

Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY
Former Employee - Editor in White Plains, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, work at home if weather is bad, nice colleagues, office situated in good location

Cons

The money is terrible. I had a Master's degree & I was making in the low 40s.

Nepotism is rampant. Anyone related to the bigger bosses, despite if they were productive employees, kept their jobs...while others, who were hard workers and often re-did the unproductive workers' work, were laid off. What I've come to realize is the good workers were laid off because: 1) any woman without children over age 30 was laid off (if you had a kid and paraded her/him around the office, you were golden) 2) ageism - anyone over age 30 was laid off (Pearson doesn't pay for excellent work from "older employees.")

What bothered me most in particular was during the hiring process, HR says: "If you're a good employee, we'll keep you." However, all the excellent, hardworking editors were laid off. Thus, Pearson does not invest in its employees.

The managing editors in the White Plains office were great. However, the director of my department didn't even know the basic rules of grammar...and she was overseeing editors!

Overall, Pearson does not respect its best workers. Instead, if you do well here, but you don't have an "in" or you're over 30 without children they will find a way to get rid of you. Beware.

Also, I found their system archaic. They still print everything out, instead of saving money and reading on computers and utilizing editing tools such as Track Changes.

Stop hiring your childhood friends for the executive positions. When I was there, one of the highest executives made a $1 million mistake, just because he didn't know anything about the publishing business. He got the job by being "best friends" with one of the highest positions in the company.

Go out on the floor and see which employees really shine. You'll be shocked and realize why Pearson is failing.

914 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

Made some great friends, but no money.

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

There are some really wonderful people who work here.

Cons

The compensation is below average.

You get what you pay for

Current Employee - Receiver in Lebanon, IN
    Current Employee - Receiver in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working conditions. Floor management is easy to follow and get along with. Honestly make you feel like you are appreciated.

Cons

Low pay and an undue long wait for benefits and raises leaves a revolving door on the distribution center. Quality employees don't stick around long, moving on to better paying jobs almost immediately, leaving only the dregs of the employable to hire on and stay.

Bring the starting pay scale up to the level of the other distribution centers in the area. Higher pay means that quality employees will hire in and stay with the company, gaining experience and loyalty.

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson