There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Weak vision, others get credit for your hard work

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance Good benefits Stimulating work

Cons

Leaders and managers have no vision. Innovation is always talked about, but I rarely see it. Wrong people (managers, authors/contractors) get credit for your hard work. Company has gotten too big and as a result too impersonal. I barely have a chance to talk to upper management because they are always too busy.

Advice to Management

Overall, I like the people I work with, and I enjoy the actual work. However, management could provide clearer information and feedback about what goals they want us to accomplish. Give credit where credit is due, and provide more specific positive feedback on our accomplishments (not just a general "thank-you."). Since bonuses, promotions, and pay increases are a rarity in this economic environment, more frequent positive reinforcement is even more important.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pearson was a very good company in the past. Today, head for the hills. Total chaos.

Former Employee - Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many smart people, great benefits, diverse and interesting work. Work-life balance.

Cons

There is no leadership today, and multiple, in-congruent strategies. Senior management is dictatorial and fiercely ego driven. There is contempt held for other divisions, and departments. Dissent is not tolerated. There is very little opportunity for growth, and no career guidance. Lost its values of being kind and decent and today treats employees like furniture. Move from print -to digital is chaos.

Advice to Management

Laying off good people to save money? You could care less about intellectual capital, only play favoritism. There is a way to lay people off , which are humane and just. VPs are the most arrogant I have ever worked with in any industry. Value employees, value their talents, let them speak.

2. Large, Slow-moving, But Moving

Former Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly engaged and interested peers who work tirelessly despite the many challenges they encounter on a regular basis.

Cons

Very high turnover in leadership that means many efforts are abandoned, new jargon and lingo are introduced as new people want to make their mark, regular workers seem incredulous to such regular and inconsequential changes.