There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Wonderful mission, lots of change to redirect company to be technology-driven and global.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people who enjoy working with cutting-edge technology and embrace the mission of improving lives through education. Culture is people-focused - hard working with authentic style and life-balance. No-walls management style (not 'open door' because in Denver their are no private offices at all). Agile best practices. Terrific healthcare plan and other benefits.

Cons

Right now, early 2014, so much re-direction at the top there it is difficult to have focus.

Advice to Management

Finalize restructure and be even more transparent with communication. CEO John Fallon is transparent and really great at communications, not all levels below him are as open. This used to not be the case.

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

1. Intern to Part-Time

Current Employee - Editorial and Product Development
    Current Employee - Editorial and Product Development

I have been working at Pearson part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pearson works hard to create a friendly culture within the office; I contacted multiple people while interning there to conduct professional interviews, and they were more than happy to oblige. They gave me great advice about breaking into the publishing industry, and urged me to leave my resume with them at the end of my internship in case something came up. Before my internship was over, I was offered a temporary job with them since they were so pleased with my work as an intern.

Cons

Since they hire so many temp workers, people are constantly shifting around.

Rash of bogus reviews! Beware of propaganda

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place if you are 25 and under easily bullied and naïve. You have now entered the abyss. Welcome to job hop heaven.

Cons

Efficacy? Self-generated biased reports are not efficacious. Selling biased non-peer reviewed reports to Ph.D.'s whose careers are based on research is a big lie. Where is the integrity and credibility? Work-life balance is a lie. I don't know how employees with families have time for them. Pearson employees don't sell anymore but spend hours self-reporting for micromanagement metrics that are recorded to entrap employees when it comes time to dismiss the next wave of new hires.

Advice to Management

The junk fast food approach to education is showing. Service sucks. The reps don't know anything. No one can resolve issues anymore. You want to sell digital technology that doesn't work at the highest price in the industry. China and India might be your saving grace due to digital nativity but the U.S. isn't buying it and the U.S. is your largest market. There are too many choices and they are free. Your books and technology are generic in content. You have displaced the people who your customers trusted and bought into. Customers bought the rep. Not Pearson. Reap what you have sown. You burned the bridges with your customers and have reorganized yourself into a death spiral in the U.S. It will only get worse. Stockholders beware because faculty and students are not buying the hype.