Idiot supervisors and managers

Current Employee - Sampling Associate in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Sampling Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The Expierence and pay are two of teh best reasons for working at Pearson, I have been there for over 7 years, and have not moved. I am a Lead, which really isnt much different from when i started. I would also say another reason it is a good place to work is, it takes a lot to get fired for. People will miss lots of days, do a crappy job, and be rude or evil to management, and are still working there. If you are a slacker, this is the place to work. Just show up, and get paid.

Cons

idiots who manage, and losers who get promoted ahead of the deserving

Advice to Management

learn how to do your job, and stop being jerks

reviews filtered by

Great Benefits - but worth it?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

benefits package is pretty good: ample vacation/personal/sick time, very flexible with balancing work/personal issues, good office location

Cons

poor communication, poor pay, often unfair in promotions and hiring of new employees

Advice to Management

better communication; if the department director isn't around often due to job duties, there definitely needs to be a '2nd in charge' that is; don't tell people what they want to hear for the sake of shutting them up - TELL THEM THE TRUTH REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME

Pearson Education - could be great.

Current Employee - Program Director in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

The location to the leafy northern suburbs is great. There are some terrific people. The company has got a very diversified business with lot's of different opportunities for young people. Working in the education sphere can be a rewarding, special work. If you are associated with product development or management, you are always talking with very educated, learned people. Consequently, you have a very literate workplace and colleagues. There are numerous locations at Pearson and some opportunity to move around. It's nice to work for a company that includes well known brands like The Economist, The Financial Times and Penguin.

Cons

The CEO of North America is an ogre. Marjorie is either clueless or like that she doesn't have to be...no one seems to know. Luckily, he has some good people working for him. Unfortunately, he tried to micromanage the business. The education business is getting smacked around in the popular press due to textbook prices. While not all of the criticisms are valid, senior management appears lackluster in its ability to respond with innovative solutions. Publishing is a very old business and retains an old culture that is feeling the weight of the Web on it's business model. The business will either transform away from print or become much smaller in the future.

Advice to Management

Be more strategic about growth...cutting fixed costs without a strategy stretches the organization and quality goes down. I would review Jim Collins' books on management and pay close attention to "Built to Last." This business must transform and we must make some big bets to do that. All we have now are toes being stuck in the water.