There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Pearson has exceeded my expectations in being a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

If the publishing industry is where you want to have a career, the only place to do that is at Pearson. This time of massive change in the indutsry can be very stressful. Almost all of Pearson's competitors are financially in horrible places. Pearson protects there on without massive layoffs. Your job may change but you will still have one! Training is well done and management is supportive without micromanaging which is important! There are huge opportunities for advancement, great compensation and benefits.

Cons

The world's leading learning company is massive. It may seem overwhelming at first but it gets easier with time.

Listen to the people on the ground! We are the closest to the customers and possess the most insight.

796 Other Employee Reviews for Pearson (View Most Recent)

Disappointed No Job Security

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get a company car and great insurance!

Cons

Sales Reps are not safe. They are getting rid of Senior Reps, hiring inexperienced people who will drink their kool-aid, work 90 plus hours a week, don't know enough to think critically about the job or responsibilities, with little potential for bonus. It is frowned upon to take office days, which leaves little time to follow up with instructors. You can not do the job and succeed by knocking on 20 doors a day, driving 3 hours, answering emails and tech questions until wee hours of the night.

There is no job security, if you question them you are put on a "success plan", if you fail to make your numbers one semester don't be surprised if you are put on a plan. They have fired top performers who missed their numbers 1 year out of 8. You used to have down time in the summer and during December, don't be surprised if your vacation is denied. They are firing reps instead of laying them off.

The technology is not cutting edge. It's difficult to use for both the instructor and student. You will not succeed in this job if you can't sell technology year after year. Your bonus will be tied to it, and you will not make any money.

It is so bad, it appears they have asked their managers to write positive review on here!

Quit micromanaging your reps. Accept that the job requires more time on the phone and computer to succeed. Before you fired another top performing rep who has been around for 10 or 20 plus years, consider why they had a bad semester. Could it be your technology isn't meeting the demands of the market place or the poor tech support?

Good company if money is all you care about.

Former Employee - Senior-Lead User Experience Designer  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior-Lead User Experience Designer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits were great per the location of the job. I was fresh out of Graduate school so getting a job so quickly was very exciting. There are some talented people in this company, but they never get appreciated. There are some fun creative projects but they under-utilize top talent. I spent 4.5 years here building a skill-base that I ultimately took to start my own business. I had to push very hard to get any new learning experiences, and often sought them out on my own outside the company while I collected a salary.

Cons

An incredible amount of politics. Sadly, this is what keeps the company from being successful. They are stuck in archaic times in terms of technology and progress. The VP management are never in the office, and when they are they leave early thinking that the rest of us wont notice. If you are a forward thinker and love to innovate, then you probably don't want to work here. If you are looking for a cozier job to pay your mortgage, feed your kids and are happy with being stagnant, then this is the place for you.

Be ready for a "lemmings" mentality atmosphere, as nobody has any idea on what they are doing or how to remain competitive in today's market. Politics ultimately got in the way of my progress. I was leading a creative group and setup for a promotion and title change, which somehow got put off several times despite amazing reviews. This new role was ultimately given to someone half as qualified as I was and who I hired. Leadership made up some new title (no raise as promised weeks prior) for me thinking that was going to cover up the fact the old-boys network was at play.

Last but not least, should you be so unfortunate to have a death in the family (which I did) and should you need to use your paid and unpaid leave to take care of matters, then good luck. They make you feel like you have no right to use benefits that are yours by law. This was the last straw that resorted in me leaving after a long and challenging 4.5 years. I did try to make changes, but better to cut losses than to live in a stressful environment. I'm happy to say that in my company I don't treat my team this way!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T employees and be honest. Upper management needs to put in hours too, instead of cutting out early every day. Discourage politics and "clicks". Need to improve culture before anything "cutting edge" will happen here.

There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!