There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

Corporate culture gets in the way of appreciating employees.

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Wonderful benefits and flexible work schedules

Cons

Management seems to keep inferiors in the dark about restructuring; also promotions seem to happen based on "time served" rather than merit

Advice to Management

Openness about changes and an attempt to acknowledge regularly the hard work of the staff (i.e., refreshments at a weekly meeting occasionally) and general encouragement

reviews filtered by
  1. A lot of room for improvement

Former Employee - Senior Editor III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Editor III in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Good benefits package, intelligent peers.

Cons

I worked for this company for many years, and a person's experiences there are directly related to the team he or she works on. I had a manager who was threatened by her employees that most of the competent people moved on. There was no oversight or accountability for this manager: she had free reign, and because she had never shared knowledge or developed her employees, there are no candidates who could readily replace her.

Advice to Management

Create avenues that would allow you to find out how the company really operates at the level of the producers. There was a lot of talent and productivity that was wasted in my department because employees were trapped under a bad manager.

Hold off on working at Pearson until reorganization is complete

Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Content Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Biggest educational publishing company. If at the right level, an individual may have the opportunity to shape education of millions of children.

Cons

The company is undergoing vast reorganization. Profits and not education emerging more and more as the top priority, top value in the company. Ths is very disappointing to those of us who really care about education.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice long-term growth for short-term profits. ... Remember that people need time to adjust to new structure, it would be a good idea to have a forum for people to express their gripes and frustrations. There is a growing sense that no one's job is safe. ... There should be bigger roles for research into and implementation best practices into development of new textbook series.