Peer 1 Hosting

www.peer1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Peer 1 Hosting

Peer 1 has delivered everything that I was promised.

Current Employee - Data Center Technician in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started at peer 1 as a trainee with very little experience and was told that they would make time to train me and bring me up to speed. I've been with the company over a year now and feel more then comfortable facing 99.9% of the challenges I face on a daily basis. Everything that they promised me in the interview has been delivered this includes training, various perks of the job, and commitment to making sure I am a happy employee. I've read a lot of reviews where people are complaining about 'peer 1 culture' and 'gimmicks', just to be clear Peer 1 makes no secret that they want to be unique but the people who don't like the fact Peer 1 have a big green slide and ask their employees to tell a joke on their first day then that is fine however you can still be successful and happy working at Peer 1 even if you don't buy in to everything they do to create a happy environment to work in ( I love all these little things but understand it is not everyone's cup of tea.) Peer 1 is one of the rare companies that I have worked at where the people who are at the top of the tree are there because of hard work! not through making friends with the right people. There is Tons of opportunities to progress and work your way up the ladder at Peer 1 and the management teams will always help you and give you their blessing to move on. Peer 1 is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Struggling with this one.... as you can tell from my Pro's no one has sat down and gave me a good English writing lesson....yet lol

As the company gets bigger and bigger don't lose sight of our core values ( I'm sure you won't )

76 Other Employee Reviews for Peer 1 Hosting (View Most Recent)

Very Poor Management with Very Poor Development For Staff

I have been working at Peer 1 Hosting

Pros

I honestly can't think of pros with Peer1 as a company.

Cons

Management in Peer1 are interested in figures showing apparent productivity rather than hard graft of fixing issues or coming up with infinitive solutions. This means staff who are happy to push issues around get in the good books with management and leads to a culture where responsibility is often passed around from department to department. Favoritism is also commonplace; especially in terms of regional locality; in the UK if you do not work in the Southampton office opportunities will be severely lacking.

Peer1 also are very strict on the technology used and looked at; if it is not listed it will not be considered which goes against their policy of doing anything they can for the customer. This also means staff miss out of developing skills and investigating worthwhile tech.

My final point - after handing in my resignation stating clear and understandable reasons; management would no longer talk or even acknowledge my emails.

A lot of work needs to be put in the change the company ethos; being given a putting green in the offce does not solve these kind of issues! Please use the London office as a clear example.

The worst company I have ever worked for in the UK

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Peer 1 Hosting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was the pub next to the office was good, the beer and the pizza were excellent.

Cons

Bear in mind that this is based on my experience in the UK, I had the misfortune to work for them for 3-4 months.

Work culture and average poor skills of technicians leads to hiding of support tickets under the carpet. Their managed hosting service is barely good enough for rebooting servers (If they can find the right one that is), most technicians are scared of dealing with/touching anything other than their cookie cutting services.

They measure performance based on the number of tickets you add notes to, rather than the number of tickets you fix. This leads to unskilled personnel to update tickets they have nothing to do with, both in order to reach their work quota and to provide a sense of "something is being done" towards the customer.

Management has no understanding or willingness to understand that some people dislike having to pretend they are happy at all times. Yes, happines is mandatory in Peer1 and they provide all sort of gimmicks company wide to maintain this image both internaly and externaly.

The whole organization claims to embrace diversity of opinions and workstyles but after a couple of weeks working with them it is clearly the opposite, they like "green and bottled", any deviation from the norm is "corrected" inmediately.

They claim to do everything they can to enpower you, but nothing further from reality, if you are stuck in a lower rank there is no encouragement for you to tackle on anything other than basic support tasks. For example they demoted all senior L3 sysadmins to L1 frontline because they were short on L1 people willing to pick up the phones.

Management in the UK have an obsesive-compulsive obsession with whom they perceived to be their largest competitor, this has forced the competitor to adopt a policy that prevents hiring senior Peer1 ex-epmployees to avoid trouble.

Some of the lower-rank managers are fantastic, Peer1 does not deserve them, not surprisingly they ignore any input from them on anything other than trivial stuff.

Just because you believe you're great doesn't make it so.

Just because you managed to build a company that grew big doesn't make you great.

Just because some of your employees profess a personality cult towards you, and you love the sound of your own voice doesn't make you great either.

Making newly "acquired" employees take part in stupid "theatre plays" wearing blonde wigs, fake glasses, and other props, feels degrading when not ridiculous, and when you are doing so with the presumed intention of teaching good customer service support to already established professionals of the sector is just stupid.

Lying to your customers about the kind of managed hosting services you are capable to provide, so you can gain the business, and then "swing the lead" when support issues arise is dishonest.

HR ignoring employees when they resign, or even before that; when they highlight that you are violating/bending UK employment law is not professional.

I would say that 95% of the technicians leaving in ~6 months should trigger some alarms.

Do not treat employees like if they were children or children's toys.

There are newer employer reviews for Peer 1 Hosting