There are newer employer reviews for Peet's

I left because I had more to offer...

Current Employee - Home Office Manager in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Home Office Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

I love the people I worked with and still keep in touch with a bunch of them
Peet's has amazing coffee, tea and other products
The culture around coffee and tea was fun and engaging

Cons

Peet's has amazing coffee and tea, and very loyal customers. It's sales manage to hide a lot of problems with the corporate leadership team.
When I was there, most every management person at Peet's was spending most of their time doing work at least a level below their job title. Which leaves one to wonder, who was doing the long-term strategy and planning work execs and directors should be doing?
It wasn't unusual for execs to wait until the rollout of major projects to really pay attention and then come along and change important aspects that had already been signed off by the leader who should have the authority!
Many leaders at Peet's are poor role models... do as I say, not as I do.
There are and have been several folks at the exec/director level who are/were known by just about everyone to be ineffective and/or counterproductive in their roles. No one had the nerve to let them go. In fact, many of those execs/directors stayed until THEY were ready to leave. And, in fact, several have managed to move on to similar or better positions with Peet's own vendors and partners!
In the end, I left because I was working on project after project that had unrealistic deadlines, didn't have enough early buy-in/support from the executive and/or leadership teams, were poorly resourced, kept getting postponed and when they finally did roll out weren't as effective as they could have been.
You'd work your tail end off, deliver what was asked of you and folks would only notice what was wrong.
I'd blame myself and often did when I worked there, but I am doing similar work at another company: I have proper funding for my projects, support from my VP, I'm crazy productive here and considered a top performer...
Lots of great career lessons learned at Peet's, but I could have saved myself a lot of stress by leaving sooner.

Do a better job on hiring and promotion decisions for your leadership roles. And when you do actually make a good hire, get out of that person's way and let them succeed! Hold people accountable in a fair and consistent manner.

reviews filtered by
  1. This is a job that places a premium on quality of products and seeks to maintain its good reputation with customers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's

Pros

Gold standard emphasis. New information given promptly. Not stressful or demanding. Schedule availability extremely flexible. Free products weekly. Great tips.

Cons

Paltry hours. Fixed position (perform other assigned duties when slow). Barista training takes months if not persistent. Raises occur yearly.

Make sure overall training is complete by 2 months max! Proper equal treatment of employees by managers should be checked.

Company lacks role accountability so mid-level management stays too deep into the day to day

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good coffee

Cons

No accountability
    Firefighting is rewarded instead of root cause closure
    Lack of direction from mid-level management
    Communication seems to be on a "need to know" basis (usually after the fact)
    Seem content with "maintaining" the company instead of growing

Put a strategy together and work as a team
    Use the proper escalation and role guidelines your L&D group developed
    Consider leveraging your systems to grow instead of maintain

There are newer employer reviews for Peet's