If you love people and multi-tasking your ass off for little pay, then it's good

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista  in  Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Peet's

Pros

The best reason to work at Peet's in my experience, is definitely the free coffee and tea. It's a nice perk that all retail employees get; because you've ought to know the product you are selling. You'll meet a whole lot of interesting people too.

The work can be hard, but there is comradery.

Cons

Hours: I feel like one of countless baby birds clamoring for mama bird's attention. Sure, in the beginning, you are tempted with the average 20-25 hrs/wk during the period in order to qualify for benefits. But there are so many people working at a store that the benefits start with shift leaders. Kind of felt like a scam after a while.

Responsibilities: How can anyone move so quickly and gracefully? Drink lots of coffee of course....but more coffee than you can handle will get you in trouble! It's hard to get a bathroom break in the middle of the rush. Forget it soldier!

Hire less people so you don't have to have so many with cut hours. But hire more people who can commit 25+ hours for at least a year.

Other Reviews for Peet's

I left because I had more to offer...

Current Employee - Home Office Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Home Office Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

I love the people I worked with and still keep in touch with a bunch of them
    Peet's has amazing coffee, tea and other products
    The culture around coffee and tea was fun and engaging

Cons

Peet's has amazing coffee and tea, and very loyal customers. It's sales manage to hide a lot of problems with the corporate leadership team.
    When I was there, most every management person at Peet's was spending most of their time doing work at least a level below their job title. Which leaves one to wonder, who was doing the long-term strategy and planning work execs and directors should be doing?
    It wasn't unusual for execs to wait until the rollout of major projects to really pay attention and then come along and change important aspects that had already been signed off by the leader who should have the authority!
    Many leaders at Peet's are poor role models... do as I say, not as I do.
    There are and have been several folks at the exec/director level who are/were known by just about everyone to be ineffective and/or counterproductive in their roles. No one had the nerve to let them go. In fact, many of those execs/directors stayed until THEY were ready to leave. And, in fact, several have managed to move on to similar or better positions with Peet's own vendors and partners!
    In the end, I left because I was working on project after project that had unrealistic deadlines, didn't have enough early buy-in/support from the executive and/or leadership teams, were poorly resourced, kept getting postponed and when they finally did roll out weren't as effective as they could have been.
    You'd work your tail end off, deliver what was asked of you and folks would only notice what was wrong.
    I'd blame myself and often did when I worked there, but I am doing similar work at another company: I have proper funding for my projects, support from my VP, I'm crazy productive here and considered a top performer...
    Lots of great career lessons learned at Peet's, but I could have saved myself a lot of stress by leaving sooner.

Do a better job on hiring and promotion decisions for your leadership roles. And when you do actually make a good hire, get out of that person's way and let them succeed! Hold people accountable in a fair and consistent manner.

This is a job that places a premium on quality of products and seeks to maintain its good reputation with customers.

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's

Pros

Gold standard emphasis. New information given promptly. Not stressful or demanding. Schedule availability extremely flexible. Free products weekly. Great tips.

Cons

Paltry hours. Fixed position (perform other assigned duties when slow). Barista training takes months if not persistent. Raises occur yearly.

Make sure overall training is complete by 2 months max! Proper equal treatment of employees by managers should be checked.

There are newer employer reviews for Peet's.

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!