There are newer employer reviews for Peet's

Don't let the image fool you...it's big business with big business issues

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Corporate Office in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

The benefits are pretty good if you are single. It's a casual work environment for dress. Free coffee, tea, espresso...there are many good people who work here and who try very hard to do what sometimes feels impossible. I have a lot of admiration for many of the people I work with.

Cons

Benefits if you want anything besides the basics are pretty expensive. There is inconsistency in expectaions from department to department...in otherwords, the management does not work from a cohesive guideline of expectations. You are always working under tight deadlines and with a large workload. This isn't from the economy now, this goes back as far as I have been with the company...the attitude is prove you can't do it and any responsible employee is going to push temselves to accomplish the goal because they want to please the customer, want to support thier co-workers and respect the company. But waiting until people are burnt out or things start breaking is not the time to make a decision about resources.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent. Lead from the top down. Actually follow the "Mission, Vision, Guiding Principles and Values" that are supposed to be the core of what holds us apart and what binds us together.

reviews filtered by

A great place to get coffee and build a long term career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

Great coffee and tea. Coming from a string of dot com and Silicon Valley companies Peet's is significantly more laid back. It's a great company that believes in its product. Everyone ar Peet's believes in the brand and the company does a great job of getting everyone educated on coffee and tea no matter what department you work in. People are generally understanding of each other and quite accommodating when it comes to time pressures with respect to a healthy work-life balance. Peet's has stayed true to its core values. The CEO and Leadership seem to have a good vision for the company and are very accessible to the employees.

Cons

Terrible holiday schedule (like 6 holidays per year) if you work at the home office. Stock options are only granted after 1 year of working based on your performance review unless you are a Director level or above.

Advice to Management

Change the holiday schedule. Give out stock options and engage the employees' entrepreneurial spirit.

2. Peet's systems struggling to keep up with high quality product.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

The gold standard specialty coffee brand on the market. The product quality is outstanding and I am proud to be a part of a company that remains dedicated to maintaining such standards.

Cons

The relative size of the company creates limited advancement opportunities out of retail stores. The level of growth is well paced but the technology/systems are struggling to keep up. Career development paths are often unclear or vague with little detail as to next steps and necessary hurdles to achieve.

Advice to Management

Remain true to the highest quality product that has gotten us through the first 42 as we continue to grow the business. Career opportunities appear limited and growth paths need clearer definition with defined steps in order to retain the highest performing individuals.