Peet's

www.peets.com
There are newer employer reviews for Peet's

great product - filthy stores and bad barista attitude

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Peet's

Pros

quality coffee & tea products - excellent knowledge on product by staff
staff gets a lot of education about coffee/roasting, tea, brewing.
still creates drinks by hand - not automated machines - training department very dedicated.

Cons

Stores mostly filthy - one I came into had mold all over walls & rats everywhere & the senior management knew about this & never did anything about it.
Little to no room for advancement - and managment & assistants graded on being "favorites" and not by financial results , hard work or management skillls.
Very unorganized w/ lack of communication & leadership on DM level and above.large workload for management team with a lot of uneccessary paperwork.
Lack of management presence and higher management presence creates a cliquish and non productive barista environment - I've seen many baristas ignore customers they didn't like and "refuse" to do cleaning tasks.

go visit your stores outside of California, I think you'd be appalled at the lack of organization, accountability, cleanliness & standards by most, but not all management.
you have a great product - focus on spreading the word & more stores on the product - but don't worry about a ton of expensive machines or all the extraneous garbage of packaged food. Hold DMs accountable & audit them in stores.

174 Other Employee Reviews for Peet's (View Most Recent)

The oldest startup in the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

The culture at Peet's strongly speaks of its work-life balance philosophy. The company is well respected household name. They support a casual work environment and pretty flexible schedule. Peet's has also recently hired some really talented leadership that have great vision and will hopefully bring Peet's corporate structure in line with it's gold standard coffee.

Cons

Employees have called Peet's the oldest start up in the world. Although the company has been around for 40+ years, it is run like a start up; there is a lack of resources, limited guidance with high expectations, no policies, and no structure or accountability. However, Peet's has recently hired the talent needed to address these issues in the upcoming years.

Stay true to Peet's values, don't forget about the "little guys" on the bottom of the ladder, and implement career paths for corporate employees so that Peet's stays competitive and doesn't lose good people.

Don't let the image fool you...it's big business with big business issues

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Peet's

Pros

The benefits are pretty good if you are single. It's a casual work environment for dress. Free coffee, tea, espresso...there are many good people who work here and who try very hard to do what sometimes feels impossible. I have a lot of admiration for many of the people I work with.

Cons

Benefits if you want anything besides the basics are pretty expensive. There is inconsistency in expectaions from department to department...in otherwords, the management does not work from a cohesive guideline of expectations. You are always working under tight deadlines and with a large workload. This isn't from the economy now, this goes back as far as I have been with the company...the attitude is prove you can't do it and any responsible employee is going to push temselves to accomplish the goal because they want to please the customer, want to support thier co-workers and respect the company. But waiting until people are burnt out or things start breaking is not the time to make a decision about resources.

Be more consistent. Lead from the top down. Actually follow the "Mission, Vision, Guiding Principles and Values" that are supposed to be the core of what holds us apart and what binds us together.

There are newer employer reviews for Peet's