Peet's

www.peets.com

Incredible product ... but major churn in management ... very low pay considering all they ask you to do and know

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAccess to some of the world's highest-quality coffees and teas; quality which hasn't change in 47 years and is upheld and taken seriously by most everyone at the company. Many opportunities to move up in the organization, especially if you live near the company's headquarters. If you are a retail associate Peet's can usually give you a very flexible schedule.

ConsCompany pays lip service to being a "training organization." I've been there more than 10 years and there are *never* enough labor hours to properly train anyone, from district manager to a part-time retail associate. Store managers are under constant pressure to drive sales yet keep labor in check (using a software many retailers use that schedule staff to 15-minute increments; staff hate it -- check the NY Times for its story on "Kronos").

If you are a retail associate you are expected to have an enormous amount of product knowledge for your $8.50/hour, as well as provide superior "customer engagement". There is massive churn in store management (my district's stores have had over 25 managers and assistant managers, and 5 district managers, in 10 years), who are given few tools and resources to properly staff and train their stores. For a company that's a pretty good size and seems to have a large marketing department, the marketing seems to be circa 1950 (collect postcards filled out by people in the store -- who are already customers -- to be on an email list and receive a free drink coupon ... and also go outside and hand out coupons for free drinks).

Also retail associates have no sick time, and the tips are kind of low as most people pay with credit cards and cannot put a tip on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct in accordance to the company's value statement. Instead of *saying* you invest in people, truly invest in them (as Mother says, it takes money to make money) - read your monthly "Happy Anniversary" memos to see how many employees have been around for more than 5 years (a handful), as opposed to the many, many dozens that are celebrating their one-year anniversary. This does not reflect investment in people.

We want to be "valued" for our work with a pay scale that is a living wage and respects all that Peet's asks us to know and do, not with contests and tshirts. Look at companies like Trader Joe's that pay more and have amazing employee retention. And hire some marketing people who can market to more than current customers, and remember you have stores across the country, not just in Northern Cal.... provide us with some real marketing support!

Good for a side job

Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros: Fun place to work, short and tolerable hours, good coffee,… Cons: Cutthroat and competitive amongst employees, not enough hours if you… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was very very average

Barista (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros: It was a fun work environment Cons: The managers are all about Micromanaging Advice to Senior Management: Relax and let them do their job No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Peet's.

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!