Pei Wei Asian Diner

www.peiwei.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Pei Wei Asian Diner

Being a cashier at Pei Wei is very mind numbing and tedious.

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros

The schedule is flexible, as with any food-service type job. You also get 50% off on one meal, and a free meal if you would a double shift. Also, if there are any mistakes or someone doesn't come to pick up their food, you can keep it.

Cons

It is always busy at my store, so there is never any time to have a breather.

The dining room is tiny, and we constantly have to ask guests how many are in their parties to ensure that they have a table to sit at.

The kitchen area is open to the front, so I have to hear what customers are saying over all the loud bangs and yells coming from the kitchen. I go home with a headache daily.

The kitchen staff has very limited English skills, as a result whenever a customer has an odd request, like to use carrot strips instead of coin-cut carrots, it is incredibly difficult to communicate that to the cooks.

There are no bus tubs which makes busing tables incredibly difficult. Most sit-down and leave type places except the customers to clean up their tables when they are done. Not at Pei Wei. All of the tables must be bused. The rice and noodles are always all over the table and are a pain to get off. The most irritating thing is that they will not get bus tubs at our store. You have to waste a minute or two stacking up the plates all nice and neat so that you don't have to make multiple trips to the back to get the table cleared.

The way that the menu is set up, you are basically forced to ask people multiple questions. Someone tells you they want a Sesame, you have to ask them if they want it with Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, or Vegetables & Tofu. After that question is answered, you then have to ask them if they want that with White Rice, Brown Rice, Fried Rice, or Noodles. There are new portions released that are called "Diner Selects". They're basically a half portion that comes with a side. Now, in addition to asking the customers meat choice and rice choice, I have to ask them if they wanted to order the full-sized Signature Dish, or the Diner Select size. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's so noisy in the store it makes it very difficult to hear what anyone is saying, and I basically end up yelling those same two or three questions the whole day.

Get bus tubs. I was told by the regional manager herself that bus tubs don't fit in with the Pei Wei image. Well you know what else doesn't fit in? Having Asian food made by a bunch of Mexicans. Simply having bus tubs would greatly cut down on the amount of time it takes to bus multiple tables.

It seems like no one at the store ever get an opportunity to speak up about what could be improved in the store. Maybe having something as simple as a suggestion box for employees would be a good thing.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Pei Wei Asian Diner (View Most Recent)

Do not work for this company

Former Employee - Dish in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Dish in Troy, MI

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros

Lets start by saying there food is "ok". its not the best nor the worst. Get a free meal if yu work a double, half price any other time.

Cons

Way to much work to do for the pay, managers favor their friends, never a down time. Miserable working conditions. always want you to do a perfect job, and if you dont they yell at you.

Pay better, management has to train better and lower the standards and expectations that are reasonable. Hire more employees so there's no short staff shifts.

Working at Pei Wei Asian Diner was a great introduction to the restaurant and customer service world.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros

The company is focused on the growth of its employees and the expansion of the restaurants.

Cons

It seems to be a very corporately controlled restaurant largely based around numbers as a success indicator.

Continue to focus on the development of the workers and the morale of the restaurant.

There are newer employer reviews for Pei Wei Asian Diner