Pei Wei Asian Diner
www.peiwei.com Phoenix, AZ 50 to 149 Employees

Being a cashier at Pei Wei is very mind numbing and tedious.

Cashier (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner

ProsThe schedule is flexible, as with any food-service type job. You also get 50% off on one meal, and a free meal if you would a double shift. Also, if there are any mistakes or someone doesn't come to pick up their food, you can keep it.

ConsIt is always busy at my store, so there is never any time to have a breather.

The dining room is tiny, and we constantly have to ask guests how many are in their parties to ensure that they have a table to sit at.

The kitchen area is open to the front, so I have to hear what customers are saying over all the loud bangs and yells coming from the kitchen. I go home with a headache daily.

The kitchen staff has very limited English skills, as a result whenever a customer has an odd request, like to use carrot strips instead of coin-cut carrots, it is incredibly difficult to communicate that to the cooks.

There are no bus tubs which makes busing tables incredibly difficult. Most sit-down and leave type places except the customers to clean up their tables when they are done. Not at Pei Wei. All of the tables must be bused. The rice and noodles are always all over the table and are a pain to get off. The most irritating thing is that they will not get bus tubs at our store. You have to waste a minute or two stacking up the plates all nice and neat so that you don't have to make multiple trips to the back to get the table cleared.

The way that the menu is set up, you are basically forced to ask people multiple questions. Someone tells you they want a Sesame, you have to ask them if they want it with Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, or Vegetables & Tofu. After that question is answered, you then have to ask them if they want that with White Rice, Brown Rice, Fried Rice, or Noodles. There are new portions released that are called "Diner Selects". They're basically a half portion that comes with a side. Now, in addition to asking the customers meat choice and rice choice, I have to ask them if they wanted to order the full-sized Signature Dish, or the Diner Select size. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's so noisy in the store it makes it very difficult to hear what anyone is saying, and I basically end up yelling those same two or three questions the whole day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet bus tubs. I was told by the regional manager herself that bus tubs don't fit in with the Pei Wei image. Well you know what else doesn't fit in? Having Asian food made by a bunch of Mexicans. Simply having bus tubs would greatly cut down on the amount of time it takes to bus multiple tables.

It seems like no one at the store ever get an opportunity to speak up about what could be improved in the store. Maybe having something as simple as a suggestion box for employees would be a good thing.

Working at Pei Wei Asian Diner was a great introduction to the restaurant and customer service world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tustin, CA

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros: The company is focused on the growth of its employees… Cons: It seems to be a very corporately controlled restaurant largely… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to focus on the development of the workers and… More

Do not work for this company

Dish (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner

Pros: Lets start by saying there food is "ok". its not the best nor the… Cons: Way to much work to do for the pay, managers favor their friends, never a down time. Miserable… Advice to Senior Management: Pay better, management has to train better and lower the standards and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Pei Wei Asian Diner.

Worked for Pei Wei Asian Diner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pei Wei Asian Diner reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pei Wei Asian Diner CEO Russell Owens. All reviews posted anonymously by Pei Wei Asian Diner employees.