Pei Wei Asian Diner

www.peiwei.com

Part-Time Wok Cook

Wok Chef (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy fellow co-workers were really great people despite the language barrier. My fellow cooks worked very hard and were VERY concise about food quality, cleanliness, and doing a good job. I'll admit, I've wondered how much integrity immigrants have while working in all the kitchens I've seen. I have a new appreciation for them after working side by side. In fact, I was the immigrant coming into their world in the kitchen. They gave me a suspicious eye wondering if the "White boy" was going to get special treatment. But once they say how hard I was willing to work, and take on the dirties of tasks without hesitation, they came to my aid every time I needed help. The managers were VERY nice to me too.

ConsHard Work!! Haaaard Woooork!

OK, granted, I'm a guy over 50 years old.

On my first day, the dishwasher guy quiet so I washed dishes solo. I worked at IHOP as a dishwasher so no problem, right? Seriously, who's busier than IHOP on a Sunday morning? Who? Pei Wei, that's who. Wok cooks are handed 2 plates of food to cook for each plate that goes out. So Every diner has at least 3 or more plates not to mention carry out. It was hell but I got them all washed. After all that washing, you get to do the pots, pans, etc from the kitchen. The cooks came in to help me after they cleaned the kitchen. Great guys!

The next day I got to cook on the woks. Yaaa!! Oh boy that was hell too!! HOT work and FAST paced. Go! Go!! Go!!! Where the hell are all these orders coming from? Faster! Faster!! FASTER!!! Dang, I just singed off all the hair on my arm!! The fire coming out of the burner is like a jet engine and you're responsible for working 2 woks at a time. You better keep your ducks lined up.

The last order goes out. FINALLY!! Time to break down the kitchen and start cleaning. EVERYTHING!! I was handed a butcher knife to use as a scrapper on the burners to remove all the black carbon. Then you use a steel wool scouring pad. Scrub! Scrub!! Scrub!!! This went on for 2 hours! I spilled degreaser on my shoulder, I felt it burn but had no time to stop SCRUBBING! Later at home I found out the degreaser took off the skin. My shoulder had 2nd and 3rd degree burns. I was shocked but I was glad I didn't lose any fingers using the butcher knife-scrapper.

All done! Dang!!! That was waaay harder than the dishwasher job!!
Maybe I'm just too old? A big baby? My fellow cooks look beat too. One left the moment we finished cleaning even though the PM manager was yapping on about something. He just waived his hand and left. I stuck around. The PM was still yapping. "Clean What? OK." "Refill the bottles? OK." "The Cooler needs cleaning? Right now? OK."

If someone ran up and shot me in the head, my day would have only gotten better.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing what you have to. No hate coming from you guys. The manager is a great guy. I only asked for min wage and he said NO. I'll pay you more because I want you to stay here. It didn't work, but he is still a great guy.

It's a fun fast paced environment with great people to work with.

Cashier (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for less than a year

Pros: The biggest pro has to be how flexible they are with the schedules. The pay is decent when… Cons: Dealing with upset and irate customers. Advice to Senior Management: Reward good and hardworking employees. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

What a horrible experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time for less than a year

Pros: Not much to say, I didn't even get free food!… Cons: -Horrible management -Corporate puts a lot of pressure on the management to cut down on hours, which makes tasks impossible. I literally stayed an hour extra… Advice to Senior Management: Take a better look at the working environment. There is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Pei Wei Asian Diner.

Worked for Pei Wei Asian Diner? Contribute to the Community!