interesting technology

Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pelican Imaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

interesting technology, high market potential if they can figure out how to work through all the technical challenges before running out of cash.

Cons

long R&D cycle, small company that wants so much to be successful, but lacks the experience and leadership to get there.

Advice to Management

whats the point of giving advice, if they already have all the answers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Pelican Imaging (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive atmosphere and friendly coworkers.

Cons

Not much to say for this.

Good opportunity to learn or make a difference

Former Employee - Imaging Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Imaging Systems Engineer

I worked at Pelican Imaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My experience at Pelican Imaging was positive, and I feel that working here was a great decision from the standpoint of personal development. I joined early on and participated both in the technology group and engineering groups. I think that there is a good opportunity for anyone young and scrappy who has aptitude and desire to succeed and gain a lot of experience in the computer vision and technology group or who enjoys tackling software engineering challenges. If you are competent and a hard worker there are good opportunities for mentorship and personal development. But, as in any other venue in life, it won't be handed to you, and you have to throw down and get your hands dirty to get there.

The problems we worked on in the technology group are legitimately interesting from an academic perspective. Also, being oriented to opportunities and methods in computer vision is a priceless opportunity in my opinion. It is not often that one can be paid to work on problems like these, so in that respect it was a pretty satisfying place to work.

In my opinion, there does seem to be intrinsic value to the basic technology and there are numerous opportunities to match the technology to some market need, and I felt that there was a strong (and shared) awareness of this in the technology group.

All in all, I am happy that I worked at this start up.

Cons

I think that the cons were typical of most startups: maintaining communication across groups, keeping the entire company apprised of the most recent developments, and encouraging/training/rewarding good or sustainable engineering practices that take longer to institute initially, but pay off in the long run. These items are not so glamorous but they are key to a functioning and successful engineering organization. In my observation this has been improving over time, though.