Penguin Group (USA)

us.penguingroup.com
  us.penguingroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Penguin Group (USA)

A fantastic company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company hires intelligent, team-oriented people to make the best books in the industry. People are trusted to do the job they are hired to do; there is not a lot of micromanaging. They encourage creativity.

Cons

Not really a con, but because there are not a lot of middle management or filler positions, each employee is responsible for more than they would be at other publishing houses .

36 Other Employee Reviews for Penguin Group (USA) (View Most Recent)

Fine, but not as great as advertised

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group (USA) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

HR did a great job of cultivating community among interns, and if you work for a smaller imprint you do gain a lot of experience because there are less people to get the job done. Another pro was the summer schedule: Fridays ended at 1 p.m.

Cons

Experience as intern really depends on what imprint/department in which you are placed--each one has a different feel so it can be hard to give a definitive answer to "Is Penguin a good place to work for". The stereotype that Penguin is a friendlier place than Random House is also not necessarily true; I had a great internship experience at Random House and a sub-par one at Penguin, and that had everything to do with what department I interned with.

Pay your interns more.

Great company values + poor senior management=OK company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group (USA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

well established player in book publishing industry
    produces strong titles, year after year
    passionate staff actually cares about books and production of books and materials
    NYC location is wonderful-lots of great restaurants and bars!
    Opportunities to work overtime (your experience may differ, based on department)
    Access to free books
    Company culture is welcoming (your experience may differ, based on department)

Cons

upper management slow to adapt to change; CONSTANT micromanagement
    very outdated systems (Microsoft and Adobe systems are all 2010 or older, inventory systems are a total mess, access to specific programs restricted across departments, PC's often crash without warning, etc)
    VERY high turnover rate for lower level employees
    VERY little room for upward mobility and growth (some employees have been at PGI for 10yrs+ -getting a position like that is INCREDIBLY tough)
    VERY low compensation for actual amount of work done-bonus' are rare

In my time at PGI, I've notice that the company overall is wonderful but lower level employees (assistants and such) are given busy work. Instead of listening to our ideas, they reject them altogether and expect to continue to sell books. Currently, many managers and upper level employees don't even know the systems and don't entirely understand the processes by which they are used. Also, if lower level employees are not compensated properly, give more time off or other incentives to avoid losing talent! This is why there is such a high turnover rate for PGI

Pay attention to the creative ideas of the younger generation--they are the future of your company! Sticking to outdated approach of selling physical books will cost the company in high turnovers

There are newer employer reviews for Penguin Group (USA)