Penske Truck Leasing

There are newer employer reviews for Penske Truck Leasing

great entry level job

Current Employee - Management Trainee
Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-advancement opportunities and recognition from management is very motivating
-overtime pay over 40 hours--I work 4 hours on Sunday, so that 4 Hours of overtime a week=$800/week after taxes
-form great friendships
-aren't dealing with stiffs in suits all day. Good mix of white and blue collar workers
-easy to set yourself apart from less motivated and underperforming workers

Cons

-micro management
-some people dont like the sales aspect of the job--i personally do
-have to deal with weather extremes-heat-rain-snow

maybe have the BRM's micro manage a bit less. Other than that great management.

153 Other Employee Reviews for Penske Truck Leasing (View Most Recent)

Neutral Overall - "Good Old Boy" Club Mentality

I worked at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Penske offers an extensive amount of training to their associates through their partnership with GE. It is a great place to learn advanced skills. If you are looking to learn Six Sigma processes and get into a Green Belt program, you will have access to that program. This is, mainly a GE program however and not specific to Penske.

Outside of the sales staff, the service and operations personnel within the company are very supportive. There is a wealth of knowledge to pull from when interacting with these individuals.

Cons

There are many "silos" within Penske that prevent success of many sales people. Senior sales leaders do not work well with entry-level sales people.

The interview process with Penske does not stop once you are hired. Everything is a "test" and senior management are quick to make opinions of lower level employees. This is a major negative, in my opinion. It is a very different culture than anything that I had previously encountered. District and Area level management are constantly checking in on employees. They seem more occupied with making opinions of lower level employees than helping them grow the business.

There is a lot of micro-management. I agree that some employee require a degree of "enhanced supervision" but this seemed to even take place with employees that were extremely successful.

Every "District" and "Area" is run differently. Each one is like a separate company that is managed completely differently. The company, as a whole, seems more concerned with allowing managers to "do whatever it takes to win" than to have consistent management to unify the company under a single focus.

The best way to move up is to be a "Yes" man and be unethical.

Former Employee - Sales and Management Traiee
    Former Employee - Sales and Management Traiee

I worked at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

19.50 an hour plus the overtime was very good as a starting job right out of college.
    Freedom due to lack of direction.

Cons

Management does not care about you.
    They will lie to save their own positions.
    Making guarentees to customers and in turn having them drive forty minutes out of there way to get a truck.
    Horrible training program which includes a couple of days then you are on the counter yourself, doing everything at the branch.
    People will offer help and then tell on you afterwards.
    Putting new "Trainees" and lower level management in failure situations then blaming them for the outcomes.
    Not allowed to question policies.
    Very demotivating
    Told by managers to call/harass customers to return early on one way trips due to overbooking.
    We are losing customers to UHUAL and Budget Rental due to lack of inventory.
    People are very stressed, upset and aggravated in this company. I left because of this and the fact that as a 22 year old I should not be miserable with my life.

There is no advice to give. They are set in their ways that are costing the company money but they do not care. They want to ensure their jobs so they just blame anyone they can.

There are newer employer reviews for Penske Truck Leasing