Horrible management

I worked at Pentaho full-time

Pros

Developers, support, and services have high salaries. There's a strong tradition of working from home part-time. Most of the workers are great people.

Cons

Way too many projects for the company to manage. It's like spinning plates, and they're all hitting the floor except the one they are spinning this week. Way too many products to manage, too. Supposedly "open source," but they sell software licenses for the few proprietary bits, and make it difficult for the open source users to create and deploy alternatives. The entire management team is a crony club with no training in or aptitude for leadership. The C-level managers swoop in and destroy every sprint team's work, then complain that no one is completing their tasks. Then the whole company goes off-schedule to do an emergency point release for an upset customer. It's complete chaos.

Advice to Management

Fire every manager and hire people who have a proven record of success.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

My Pentaho Experience

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Flexibility
    Great Product
    Great group of people
    Strong community

Cons

No Stability (lay offs)
    No room for growth
    No open door policy (even though there are no doors in office).
    Lack of communication with departments and offices.
    7 years later and still considered a start-up

Advice to Management

I have to agree with both the negative and positive reviews posted. I worked for Pentaho for 5 years... Actually I was one of the first 20 employees. I had the opportunity to watch the company grow, change, and grow again. The Pentaho team is amazing and I am still very passionate about the product. Unfortunately, I was part of lay off number 3 but that's all a part of the corporate America game. I recommend re-hiring individuals who were previously laid off, stop calling a 7 year company a start up, stop hiring friends, offer employee training for growth, and actually listen to employees (especially the employees that started the company). Other than that, great product!
    I wish the team the best! Go Pentaho!

A place that has allowed me to grow and make a significant contribution.

Current Employee - Vice President Professional Services
    Current Employee - Vice President Professional Services

I have been working at Pentaho

Pros

Pentaho is a fast-paced company in an exciting and growing industry. I have learned a tremendous amount about the industry and technology from our employees. The people are terrific. They represent some of the best talent in the industry and are very engaging and open. Management provides you with freedom to make decisions about your area of responsibility. There is no micro-management and bureaucracy is at a minimum. Pentaho has a very flexible work environment. I can work from home or in the office as long as the job gets done. And best of all - it is a fun environment.

Cons

Pentaho is a small and rapidly growing company so it can be hectic at times. Sometimes the lack of process makes the job a bit more difficult.