Pentaho

www.pentaho.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Pentaho

Best place to work IF you need to get paid while looking for the job you really want!

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros: Richard Daley (founder) is a pioneer and is great to work with. He has got a great vision and strategy. The open source technology is fundamentally great for the SMB space. Selling into this space where customers have smaller budgets and the backend (ETL) is more important is fairly easy. The open source community loves Pentaho’s open source beginnings.

Cons

Cons are regarding the above pioneer Richard Daley. Unfortunately the guy with the great vision and understanding of what is needed to make the technology “Enterprise” ready and overall better is overlooked when making product/release decisions. Therefore, the product has gotten worse. Proven by Gartner- Pentaho has highest number of unhappy customers. From a technology perspective, if you are in sales, and you are going to sell something, and you’re going to a midsize startup, this is not where you want to be or what you want to sell. Largest number of unhappy customers???

Oracle customers are unhappy but still buy out of necessity and name. You come here, without a name like Oracle and already established unhappy customers…….good luck!

Company Culture:

Bad, Bad, Bad.

Reviews here are a bit of smoke and mirrors as well. Obviously marketing added their own reviews to make things look better. In my 20 years of Enterprise sales at startups and large enterprises, I’ve never seen so much dysfunctional behavior from the management. The culture is horrible. For the few folks that have spent significant time there (not many), when asked why they are still there, the answer is always the same. Not that they love their job, it’s a great environment, they are making money, or learning…. It’s because they have a lot of stock. Pretty lame reason to stick with being miserable.

Overall most people ARE miserable. Turnover is very high. In the last 7 months of being there before my departure (I found a much better environment to be in) they’ve lost almost all of their west sales team that I was on. Lost as in people quit! Managers are micro managers. Which isn’t all that bad if they have other good managerial qualities, but unfortunately they don’t. Manager for the west would be much better suited as an individual contributor. He lacks managerial skills, and leadership qualities. Is a “Me” guy. This is coming from someone who made money, and hit his number, yet couldn’t take the BS.

Overall one of the worst organizations overall I’ve ever known or have been a part of. Same goes for every unit within the company aside from the engineers- Who are hard working and dedicated, and go the extra mile. They were a pleasure to work with.
Do yourself a favor, if you need a job, take this one, knowing you will be going through a similar process to that of a farm system in baseball (buying time until you go to a real team/Job). Put up with the BS, say you are committed, then take the better job that comes along.

PS- if you think anything said above isn’t valid- During your interview process, request to know if you are a backfill, and what happened to the person before you. Ask about the amount of turnover. How long the average tenure per rep is. Make sure you get your job role, territory, and accounts in writing before you start. They should be able to provide you this detail level of info to you very easily, I mean, they are an analytics company right?

I knew 2 days into the gig I was out. From the other senior reps telling me this place wasnt the place to be, to the way the management interacted with the reps, to the silent sales floor, I decided to keep on interviewing.

Hopefully the executive staff will eventually see that a lot of good/successful reps are leaving frequently. And maybe then, just maybe they will realize the reason. If they don’t, they soon will because soooo much turnover effects sales(which will open their eyes). And the manager that constantly puts the blame on the reps, eventually will be found out as a fraud.

There is only so much finger pointing one can do. This company has a chance if they gut the management team.

“Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”

Pentaho Response

Feb 24, 2014Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We value all input and appreciate your comments on the company’s strong open source background. It’s unfortunate to hear about some of your ... More

43 Other Employee Reviews for Pentaho (View Most Recent)

Great growing company

I have been working at Pentaho

Pros

Fast pace, fast growth, awesome tech

Cons

No downsides here unless you don't like a fast paced place

Pentaho Response

Feb 24, 2014Human Resources

I want to thank you for your feedback here. It’s great to know you are optimistic about the company’s future! Feel free reach out to me if you would like to provide additional insight.

Couldn't be happier working at Pentaho

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Surrounded by smart people with hard-working, winning attitudes.
    - Exec's care about their employees, from top to bottom.
    - Constant recognition for individual and team wins, big or small
    - Fun, collaborative and hungry environment
    - Great location downtown SF with great views.

Cons

- Technology can be hard to capture if you don't have a passion for it

Keep up the recognition!