There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Stable but a few Issues.

Current Employee - Art Director  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Penton

Pros

Established company. Security. I have a lot of freedom to do my job and is given much respect for it. Management is very understanding when it comes to personal issues and works with you to make sure you are happy. Easy to pace myself in my current position. People are really friendly and easy to work with. Any over worked week is easily compensated by time off to make up for it. Great vacation system. Benefit Program is very thorough. 401K is done properly. Monthly deadlines keep you focused and on point. Work is challenging and keep you up on your skills.

Cons

Advancement in my field is not much. The only position higher than mine isn't in another state and there is a very slim chance that it can be taken advantage of. Pay raises are very slow and low. Yearly evaluation is not done properly and seems as though the pay raises are predetermined and not based on your performance. Monthly deadlines may cause you to have to work five days plus a full weekend because others may have not managed their time properly...their work effects you. Not many company activities to take advantage of. Leadership is sometimes distant on important issues.

Better communication would help tremendously.

119 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

A weak leader

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Penton

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with, intelligent and nice

Cons

Incompetent management, no communication, lack of respect for employees

Communicate often and without baloney. Let employees know the truth of what's going on without sugar-coating it - they aren't stupid. Find ways to increase morale that don't cost much, but don't emphasize that there's not much money available. Truly value all the employees - not just the salespeople.

Co-workers are the best, management is out to lunch.

I worked at Penton

Pros

- fascinating industry
    - creative atmosphere
    - the best co-workers anywhere
    - casual office environment

Cons

- totally clueless management; revolving door C-level
    - layoffs so frequent and without warning, staff works in a constant state of paranoia
    - hefty bonuses at the top, while benefits costs go up for line employees
    - management levels WAY too top-heavy; positions not appointed on merit or knowledge
    - skeleton crew at the staff level, but the amount of work only increases

Immediately ditch the approach that the best way to increase the bottom line is to keep decreasing headcount. Staff are over-worked and very much unappreciated. Realize, and ACKNOWLEDGE, that the staff have kept the company afloat for the last decade and more, through all the bad times. The company could flourish without all the VPs, but would go under in a week without the line employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!