There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Great work life balance, and opportunity for those who take initiative

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Collins, CO
Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, casual environment, friendly people. Lots of opportunities to learn new skill sets. All managers I have had are very open to me pursuing new opportunities, taking on new responsibilities, trying different things.

Cons

Advancement will not just come naturally. Salaries below industry benchmarks. Since there's not much middle management, you have to be proactive in career development and training. Also it can be easy to get pigeon-holed in your job if you're not careful.

Advice to Management

Promote from within - when your A players see a lot of the top talent coming from outside, and not being cultivated from inside, they get discouraged and leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

1. Just joined Penton. Very exciting

I have been working at Penton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After many years in online businesses, I was looking for a place with lots of opportunity solid business opportunity and inherent value where I could lead big ideas. Penton, fits this profile and is in a huge transition and are truly positioned and organizing to succeed in a new digital world of publishing. The communication and morale is very good and I definitely feel enabled to take great ideas (new and old) to market.

Cons

Penton has been a traditional print company for over 100 years. While a huge strength in having over 15 B2B market verticals locked into their brands, there are challenges in the organization to embrace change where it challenges their memory and skills, which are based on success in the past that does not exist today. This is not a critical blocker, but something to navigate and understand. If you know how to (and enjoy being) an agent of change, it's a welcome opportunity. If not, beware.

Advice to Management

Clear the path for the future. take no prisoners.

Another print company slow to transition, make changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great CEO, eager to make positive changes and smart business decisions - Job security because Penton is terrified of change - Casual work environment - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Upper management extremely resistant to change - Management very slow to make positive changes or respond to feedback, if at all - Work completely unfulfilling, sometimes demeaning - Too many high-level managers and SVPs eager to offer "ideas," slow to give employees permission to execute on them - Tribalism among offices - Too few workers actually doing the work - No 401k matching/pension, barely adequate pay and very weak benefits - Stodgy company culture

Advice to Management

Please hire more people to execute the work. We already have way too many managers and not enough workers.