There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Typical Company

Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, the people who work at Penton are friendly. Additionally, Penton has a nice holiday schedule - nearly every national holiday and early release on the day before a holiday.

Cons

Top management has changed frequently over the past few years, which is a positive if you don't care for a particular CEO/CFO/etc....just wait a year or two and there will be a new one. Unfortunately, this takes away from the overall long term vision of the company since every leader has a different idea as to what direction to take Penton in. Additionally, it seems as though every change in management brings the loss of a perk previously enjoyed by employees. Finally, there is no 401k match, which is a definite downside.

Open communication. David Kieselstein has done a wonderful job at keep employees informed on major changes; however, middle management still needs to open communication lines. Possibly it's the nature of the beast, but no matter how many training courses you provide to middle management, it seems like nothing changes in the way that they interact with their direct reports.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your post.

The senior management at Penton are diligently working to fostering a transparent environment that’s pleasant for its employees. We strive for the company to be a
... More

121 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Some really amazingly talented people, hard working people.

Cons

Workload can be very overwhelming, sexist senior management, no career development the performance goals are insignificant. It's way too white. There is a notable absence of diversity. Get rid of the "clubs" in management, when the same people are making all the decisions for years, the focus is very narrow-minded and not open to new ideas.

Need to take a look at the good old boys club. Need to think digitally and behave digitally. Print is dying.

Sweatshop for editors

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton (more than 8 years)

Pros

New president Kieselsten is a refreshing change from past presidents; more strategic, human and big-picture.

Cons

The workload for editors is crushing and totally overwhelming.

Touch base with the creatives who produce the product. It seems to me that upper management's bonuses seriously compromise the quality of the information produced and is morally untenable in terms of employee health and lifestyle metrics.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate your post.

Penton is committed to fostering an environment that’s engaging and pleasant for it’s employees. We value the work that all of our employees deliver. We appreciate all
    ... More