There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Tons of opportunities--if you know the right people.

Former Employee - Web Production Coordinator in New York, NY
Former Employee - Web Production Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Penton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Penton was a great place to work right out of undergrad, because I was working with a group of people who really believed in me and wanted to help me succeed. I was given tons of opportunities to learn about new things and develop new skills.

Cons

If the right people don't like you then there are no opportunities for career advancement, regardless of your talent. Half of the people working there are amazingly smart and dedicated, and the other half are just putting in the time until they can retire.

Get to know the people who work for you so that you can better utilize them.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013Chief Talent Officer

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time at Penton.

Our goal is to create an environment where everyone feels valued and can build their career.

121 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

Continuous Improvement, Management is REALLY listening

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO is dynamic and communicative. Making the necessary enhancements with the company to drive performance while also sharpening focus on the customer.

Cons

Extensive and diverse portfolio of brands, resource allocation, timeliness of response within some shared services, cross functional communication are all areas that are being addressed.

Remain positive and dedicated to improving performance - continue to drive and invest in growth brands within the portfolio, particularly digital initiatives.

Management deserves the help it gets

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, great people working in the brands, interesting work.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed working in an a-hole-free zone for many years but, unfortunately, that changed when the company brought in another layer of management between my old boss and me. If this guy were here to offer advice, guidance, best practices and new ideas, then that would be great. But to report to this dude? He’s completely ignorant of our brands, our markets, our business model, the issues, our readers and our customers, but he’s determined to throw his weight around and be the big boss. And it’s not just me. He also has supervisory responsibilities over other markets about which he is equally clueless. He doesn’t know our most significant readers and customers from Adam’s off ox, and vice versa. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he does something out of ignorance that pisses somebody off threatens revenues. I’ve complained to my old boss and he said that, for now, I will have to put up with this guy because upper management believes he’ll lead them to the Promised Land. It’s sad. I really loved this job. After all the years that I’ve been here, I’m now actively looking for another job.

You wouldn't have to offer a $1,250 bounty for recruiting new employees if you treated your current employees better.

There are newer employer reviews for Penton