There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Management deserves the help it gets

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Casual atmosphere, great people working in the brands, interesting work.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed working in an a-hole-free zone for many years but, unfortunately, that changed when the company brought in another layer of management between my old boss and me. If this guy were here to offer advice, guidance, best practices and new ideas, then that would be great. But to report to this dude? He’s completely ignorant of our brands, our markets, our business model, the issues, our readers and our customers, but he’s determined to throw his weight around and be the big boss. And it’s not just me. He also has supervisory responsibilities over other markets about which he is equally clueless. He doesn’t know our most significant readers and customers from Adam’s off ox, and vice versa. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he does something out of ignorance that pisses somebody off threatens revenues. I’ve complained to my old boss and he said that, for now, I will have to put up with this guy because upper management believes he’ll lead them to the Promised Land. It’s sad. I really loved this job. After all the years that I’ve been here, I’m now actively looking for another job.

You wouldn't have to offer a $1,250 bounty for recruiting new employees if you treated your current employees better.

115 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

Typical Company

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, the people who work at Penton are friendly. Additionally, Penton has a nice holiday schedule - nearly every national holiday and early release on the day before a holiday.

Cons

Top management has changed frequently over the past few years, which is a positive if you don't care for a particular CEO/CFO/etc....just wait a year or two and there will be a new one. Unfortunately, this takes away from the overall long term vision of the company since every leader has a different idea as to what direction to take Penton in. Additionally, it seems as though every change in management brings the loss of a perk previously enjoyed by employees. Finally, there is no 401k match, which is a definite downside.

Open communication. David Kieselstein has done a wonderful job at keep employees informed on major changes; however, middle management still needs to open communication lines. Possibly it's the nature of the beast, but no matter how many training courses you provide to middle management, it seems like nothing changes in the way that they interact with their direct reports.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your post.

The senior management at Penton are diligently working to fostering a transparent environment that’s pleasant for its employees. We strive for the company to be a
    ... More

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Some really amazingly talented people, hard working people.

Cons

Workload can be very overwhelming, sexist senior management, no career development the performance goals are insignificant. It's way too white. There is a notable absence of diversity. Get rid of the "clubs" in management, when the same people are making all the decisions for years, the focus is very narrow-minded and not open to new ideas.

Need to take a look at the good old boys club. Need to think digitally and behave digitally. Print is dying.

There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!