There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Smart people

I worked at Penton

Pros

Smart people work at Penton

Cons

Subtle arrogance permeates the culture.

121 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

Lots of hot air blowing down from the top - "communication"

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere/office environment. Can work remotely if needed - and if you don't work for an old-school hippie, that thinks being in the office is necessary to do your job. Keurig (hurry before they try to take it away again!) Co-workers are all great to work with. Quiet office, since so many people have quit over the last several months.

Can learn some new skills here - if you report to someone that actually knows what they're doing.

Cons

Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond.
     - After taking on many new responsibilities and workloads for several years, with no compensation and no promotion, I demanded both from my manager. i received both (still inadequate), but come review/raise time, i was told I was being penalized because i already received a raise. This company is so backwards, it's no wonder so many people are headed for the door.

Contrary to some of the responses found in this thread, there is no revenue-sharing happening. At least not for those of us that do all of the work - my paycheck has seen no benefit from the so-called "sharing". No 401K match. No bonuses (well not for those of us under senior level). Compensation is sub-par in general.

No room for advancement. Any jobs created for higher levels are usually filled from outside the company. Higher level positions that are vacated usually get dissolved, rather than filled. If they are filled, it's not usually from within.

The company has become so centralized-focused, that there is no room or opportunity to be innovative within your group.

Lots of company polishing happening right now - probably going to try and sell to the highest bidder soon.

Reviews and raises here are a joke. The system is completely subjective, and no matter what the score, you get little to no raise anyway. You're given yearly "goals" to meet (on top of your regular job). My goal is to get my job done in less than 70 hours each week.

A "study" was done by the company to assess salaries and average compensations. No one seems to know much about this benchmark study, other than the company did it. It helps determine if you are adequately compensated for your job each year. If you are, no raise for you. If you aren't, here's your 2.5% - even though cost of living climbs at least that every year. Oh, and by the way, that raise you just got - don't look for it in your paycheck. That's going directly to the health care cost that's being passed down by the company each year. It's all about profit, you know.

Not much to give, since they don't really listen to what we say. It would be interesting to see how many people have left the company in the last 12 months.

I'd say get ready for more departures. Those of us that have experience are good at what we do, and are constantly approached by recruiters and head-hunters. All it takes is the right offer, since there doesn't seem to be much to hold us here. Gone are the days of company loyalties. The old-school generation running this company needs to figure out how to better deal with Gen X and Y.

Penton Response

Jun 17, 2014Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As part of Penton’s annual performance appraisal process, we ask that each employee complete a self-evaluation rating their work for the year. This ... More

Penton salaries

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, above the industry average

Cons

Not many support sysyems available

Keep moving forward

Penton Response

Jun 17, 2014Chief Talent Officer

We are always open to hearing any suggestions you may have regarding expanding the company’s support systems. Please do contact HR with any ideas.

Depending on your needs, you can always approach
    ... More