There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Good company in need of some better trained managers

Current Employee - Editor
Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and professional. There is a great work-life balance, allowing employees to work at home when necessary and generally allowing freedom to do your job without micromanaging.

Cons

Managers seem reluctant to accept the fact that the media landscape is changing and work requirements must be adjusted. Also, managers, while generally very knowledgeable about their industries, could use better training on managing staffs to get the most out of employees.

Advice to Management

Reach down below the management level to more directly tap into the knowledge of employees. Managers don't consistently express the expectations of what upper management wants to accomplish, leaving the impression that employees are not receptive to the ideas.

Sep 30, 2014 – PR

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently instituted a Fred Pryor management training program and are requiring that our managers take 6 courses per quarter. We hope that this training will help ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

There are better choices out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, casual dress, some of the people you work with are excellent.

Cons

Does not promote an environment for getting and keeping top talent, key people are incompetent in their positions but rewarded because they are part of the "boys club". Lip service from management and very little improvements. No 401(k) matching, high cost of benefits, the more you make the more you are penalized if you work at Penton. Corporate bonus program, let's call it the dangling carrot, is WAY out of reach based upon the budgets that are set - just another placebo to make you feel like you are working at a better than average company.

Advice to Management

Seriously? Change needs to be made from the top down. Turn over at upper management level doesn't promote growth or a stable work environment. Start listening to the surveys you take annually and effecting positive change, by giving it lip service only you show everyone what you really care about. The company won't change by doing surveys, only by your actions.

Sep 30, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

Many thanks for your response. We continue to implement changes within the company according to the feedback we receive in the annual employee surveys we ask our team to take. These surveys cover ... More

Worst place I have ever worked in 30 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job that pays a salary, even though the salary is below industry standards, and it provides health insurance, even though it's not a great plan, is expensive, and is only partially covered by the company. Otherwise...no reason to work there.

Cons

This company is currently being positioned for sale. It's very obvious. There is no concern for quality presentation visually or editorially. It's no longer a media company. It's now all about data. We are supposed to tell people we "power the possibility" when they ask us what we do. Yes, we are even told what to say. Certainly media is changing and media companies must adapt but this company is doing so without any thought or creativity. The office culture sucks. It's virtually silent and they have replaced our cubicles with smaller, uglier ones, leaving a lot of unused open space. People are constantly being fired. After we switched to a new platform, they fired the tech people and hired new ones and now we are switching yet again. They have plenty of money to spend on the CEO's whims but salaries outside tech are insultingly low. Nobody is happy but they won't talk about it. The managers are the CEO's tools. There is no loyalty or concern for any of the employees. Everyone there is afraid to do anything except keep their heads down and keep working.

Sep 30, 2014 – PR

Thank you for your response. We highly value each and every employee and we are sorry to hear you are not happy in your position. We are implementing a number of new technologies and hiring talent ... More