Penton

www.penton.com
  www.penton.com
There are newer employer reviews for Penton

Good company in need of some better trained managers

Current Employee - Editor
Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and professional. There is a great work-life balance, allowing employees to work at home when necessary and generally allowing freedom to do your job without micromanaging.

Cons

Managers seem reluctant to accept the fact that the media landscape is changing and work requirements must be adjusted. Also, managers, while generally very knowledgeable about their industries, could use better training on managing staffs to get the most out of employees.

Reach down below the management level to more directly tap into the knowledge of employees. Managers don't consistently express the expectations of what upper management wants to accomplish, leaving the impression that employees are not receptive to the ideas.

Sep 30, 2014PR

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently instituted a Fred Pryor management training program and are requiring that our managers take 6 courses per quarter. We hope that this training will help ... More

129 Other Employee Reviews for Penton (View Most Recent)

Worst place I have ever worked in 30 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job that pays a salary, even though the salary is below industry standards, and it provides health insurance, even though it's not a great plan, is expensive, and is only partially covered by the company. Otherwise...no reason to work there.

Cons

This company is currently being positioned for sale. It's very obvious. There is no concern for quality presentation visually or editorially. It's no longer a media company. It's now all about data. We are supposed to tell people we "power the possibility" when they ask us what we do. Yes, we are even told what to say. Certainly media is changing and media companies must adapt but this company is doing so without any thought or creativity. The office culture sucks. It's virtually silent and they have replaced our cubicles with smaller, uglier ones, leaving a lot of unused open space. People are constantly being fired. After we switched to a new platform, they fired the tech people and hired new ones and now we are switching yet again. They have plenty of money to spend on the CEO's whims but salaries outside tech are insultingly low. Nobody is happy but they won't talk about it. The managers are the CEO's tools. There is no loyalty or concern for any of the employees. Everyone there is afraid to do anything except keep their heads down and keep working.

Sep 30, 2014PR

Thank you for your response. We highly value each and every employee and we are sorry to hear you are not happy in your position. We are implementing a number of new technologies and hiring talent ... More

The emperor has no clothes

Former Employee - Digital Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Development in New York, NY

I worked at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

That I was recently laid off and the company is essentially paying me to move on to a better company to advance my career. I was already looking to make a move, I am now able to do it full time.

Cons

The CEO is blind to his direct reports. They filter information to him and he believes without confirmation. I used to think he was a top notch leader; although when he fell for the story the new CDO and his staff sold him, I knew it was time to leave.

Check your egos at the door and start listening to your line staff to determine where to take the company or you will be back in financial restructuring as was the case 5 or 6 years ago.

Sep 30, 2014PR

We appreciate your response. Transitioning a company is challenging and we know change is difficult. We have hired a number of team members with new capabilities and skills, who have experience with ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Penton