So far so good

Current Employee - Cashier in Turnersville, NJ
Current Employee - Cashier in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are rather laid back. All the people at my store pull their own weight. We do have an older guy who is a little old fashion and doesn't want women doing more than he thinks they can. And they work around my schedule so I can have someone to watch my son while I'm working.

Cons

Sometimes too laid back. You can ring yourself out with food and drink. And while they say managers are the only ones who can open a door without a sale is a lie.

Advice to Management

Be a little more attentive. When an employee suggests something, try to follow through. I have having to ask over and over again.

Other Employee Reviews for Pep Boys

Informative and education but sometime frustrating and backwards

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-They will hire straight out of college with little experience -Opportunity to move up if you prove yourself -Employee discount and other perks

Cons

-Higher ups are very set in their ways -New ideas are looked for but ignored upon completion -Work comes in waves, huge dry spells are followed by flash floods of business

Advice to Management

Bring back employee morale

Could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time

Pros

Corp Office- Laid back, business casual dress code, mostly friendly people. Top management tells you what is going on in quarterly meetings. Some employee recognition in quarterly meetings and letters to the company are read. Benefits are OK. Some management has an "open door" policy where you can feel OK to ask questions/advice. No real penalties for being late. There is a gym in the corporate office.

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant at Pep Boys. Work gets pushed down to the staff and management doesn't pay attention or just don't care that this goes on. At times this can be frustrating knowing that the supervisors get paid almost double your salary. The company is pretty disorganized and lacks good communication between different departments. Computers are slow which makes it hard to get your job done. It seems like the same employees always are staying late (Some due to being overworked and some just prefer not to go home.) High turnover, recent layoffs, almost got bought out but the acquiring company backed out last minute. Low pay.

Advice to Management

1- Pay the store employees more money so they feel good working for Pep Boys and have a better attitude and performance. Really interview them and make sure they have positive attitude and good work history, call references, and don’t hire just anyone there are enough people out of work that you should be able to find good employees. 2- Try and retain your good employees (all levels not just store level.) Offer ways for employees to advance their career at Pep Boys, set up meetings that lay out groundwork to get a promotion, let them know the steps they need to take to ensure that it happens and give a realistic time line. Don't be misleading. 3- Keep an eye out for employees who look like they are doing work, but really push it off to other people, you don't need these employees they are just wasting your payroll dollars. 4- Try and offer better benefits that really don't cost anything like working from home one day a week, or try extending the summer half day Fridays to the whole year. This will be a extra bonus to employees that really doesn't cost you anything. They still have to work 40hrs a week. You could also try discounted day care at the corporate office; you have tons of extra rooms that could be converted to a day care. (I'm not sure how many people would sign up for that considering the neighborhood though.) 5-Try and figure out ways for the different areas of the company to communicate better. I don't even have any advice on this other than to bring it to management’s attention. It just seems like each department focuses on themselves and doesn't share information, or inform other they might be impacting by their actions. 6-Better documentation of each employees work functions. Since there is high turnover, the remaining employees in the department have to pick up the pieces and figure out what the other was doing. It is difficult because half the time you don't know where any of the information is saved at, who your contacts are, etc. If the processes were documented better and readily available to each department I think it would make those transitions much easier. ( I know this may require a significant amount of time- which current employees would not want to do on top of their regular responsibilities so if you had them work a weekend or over time to get it done give them a bonus or extra pay for doing so- reward employees for a job well done. This will help you when you need it most!) To summarize treat employees like you want to be treated, think about the human factor not just the bottom line. If you want people to feel good about the place they work you have to offer more than the bare minimum. Comcast gives free cable to employees, Starbucks offers free bags of coffee and Google give three free meals a day, offer something outside the box.