PepsiCo

There are newer employer reviews for PepsiCo

Great Pay But To Many Headaches

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Wilder, VT
Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Wilder, VT

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a descent living and the benefits are very good.

Cons

The management sucks. The hours are tough if you are not used to getting up early. Management allows store managers to treat you like a piece of gum on the bottom of their shoe. No support and very poor communication. Management is constantly on you about numbers no matter how unrealistic they are.

Communication and more support would go along ways.

1948 Other Employee Reviews for PepsiCo (View Most Recent)

Overall good company, but you definitely earn it.

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Lacombe, LA
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Lacombe, LA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great!

Pay is pretty good. In reality, I make just over $60,000 to put chips on the shelf. This is a good opportunity for you if you don't have a degree. I saw on CNN yesterday that all the new jobs being created are paying $24,000 a year and less.

Benefits are very good. This is why I stay here. I am fortunate that I can make more $$$ somewhere else, but with zero benefits, so I stay here for now. I have a pension, 401k, stock options, medical ins, life, disability, the works, all for about $2,000 a year, less the 401k.

A side note stock options and pension are gone. Stock is gone for all route sales people and pensions are gone for all new hires. Mine is still growing because I was there when they offered it.

There are several routes in our zone and several types of routes. The pay is as low as $38,000 for an extra, on up to the mid $60's for the higher paying routes. We have bulk, which is just the largest of stores all the way down to the small mom and pop stores.

We also have merchandisers that make just under $15 an hour and detailers that get no benefits, and make $10 an hour.

So the opportunity is there.

Cons

The hours! Whether its a middle of the road route and a mix of stores where you work too many hours or a bulk route where you have to be at work for 2:30 am. The hours stink. I would be ecstatic if I could average in the mid to even upper 40's as for hours each week.

If you don't have a college degree, in anything, even an art or music major is fine, and be in your early 30's at the oldest, (your age) yes this is discriminatory, but it is what it is, there is ZERO chance to advance in this company. You may move up one level if you are unlucky and stupid enough to apply. That is the 1st level of management. I say that because these are the people that get fired. If you don't make you sales numbers, (your team) on a consistent basis you are gone. It doesn't matter if you have stores that won't allow displays, or may be running low volume for a real valid reason, or lastly that you have too many route sales reps that are not pushing as well. Too bad too sad you're outta here. Too much pressure is put on these guys every week. It doesn't matter how great you did or were 6 months ago. What have you done for me lately?

Did I mention the hours?!?!
    E
    No personal off days. And you have to work 5 days every week, no exceptions, or you call in sick. You want Christmas off? No problem, just work one of your off days. Really!?!? C'mon guys, give us a break!

Did I mention the hours? Really they stink, they wear you down, and no chance to advance you get trapped into this thing.

Lastly in the serious "multi-tasking" of do this, do that, did you get this done yet and remember that. They put a ton on your plate and expect it all to be important, and that you get it all done.

Having said all that I usually get everything done that is important, usually make my numbers and have been told by management on several occasions I am one of the best in the zone.

Did I mention the hours?

Hire some part timers like our detailers to help us out, pay them $10 and hour, which is comparable to our over time pay, and there you go, our hours can go down to 45-48 hours a week, and now you have a potential pool to hire new RSR's and the ones you have are happier to work fewer hours each week. The part timers get to make a few bucks, and it only cost the current RSR a little over time.

Having merchandisers be the "face of Frito" in your biggest stores, as in the bulk routes is a bad idea. These are often new people and do the worst job, so Wally World doesn't see the real RSR, but yet that's who gets the blame when something goes wrong. We need help here.

Great company with endless growth Foodservice

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time

Pros

training
    opportunity
    mentorship
    networking
    great way to really extend your knowledge on the large diversified portfolio
    great analitical skills that are learned.
    nogotiation and sales training is amazing

Cons

pay is low.. and harf to get a raise past 1% a year
    its all about who you know when it comes to promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for PepsiCo