PepsiCo

There are newer employer reviews for PepsiCo

Soul Crushing

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for overtime, the pay is okay, and a global company is good to have on your resume.

Cons

No work-life balance, employees are treated like work-horses, if you are 1 minute late you get written up. Turnover is extremely high and you are unlikely to have the same manager for over a year.

Your turnover rate would be lower if you didn't treat your employees like dirt.

2058 Other Employee Reviews for PepsiCo (View Most Recent)

Fast-paced, competitive, and challenging environment. Huge opportunities for career growth, be prepared to work for it.

Current Employee - Future Sales Leader Intern
    Current Employee - Future Sales Leader Intern

I have been working at PepsiCo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the reviews I have seen for the internship have been pretty general, so I hope that this is able to provide a holistic view of what is really is like to work for PepsiCo. I was a future sales leader intern for the Frito Lay division in the summer of 2014, and as such I worked on a market based sales focused project for the months I was with the company. My overall experience was exceptional, and the following are some of the key benefits of interning with PepsiCo:

Real responsibility and autonomy on project based work.

The program is structured to give you hands on experience interacting with both customers in the market as well as our front line employees. Depending on which zone you are assigned to, you might work on anything from reducing waste of our displays, increasing distribution of a certain products, and even market development of an under-represented segment (i.e. independent customers, drug channel, C-Stores, etc.). The work fast-paced, and most of my time was spent in the market visiting customers. If you have an idea or you want to try something out, do it. You can do nearly anything you believe would have a positive impact on the bottom line of the company.

Leadership, co-workers, and other interns are phenomenal.

The HR team at Frito Lay has done an exceptional job hiring individuals that are very similar in terms of personality and work ethic. Everyone on the sales team was outgoing, friendly, extrovert, type-A personality, with a huge competitive drive. If you like being benchmarked against everyone around you, then this is the place for you. Everyone is very willing to sit down and speak with you about anything, you just have to take the initiative to reach out.

Networking+ traveling opportunities and face-time with senior leadership.

Yes, you get to travel as an intern! Your initial onboarding will be in the HR region office, we had a networking event with all the interns in my region, we got to tag along to the RBT (Regional Business Team) meeting, and finally you travel to the North American Headquarters of Frito Lay to present out the results of your project in Planto, Texas. You travel a ton for an intern, which is virtually unheard of for nearly any internship out there (DISCLAIMER this may not be true for all the regions). Plus, they really try to get interns to mingle with those higher up in the food chain (i.e. Director of Sales, Region VP, etc.), as those are the roles that they want us to move into in the long-run.

Pay is great compared to a college budget.

PepsiCo generally pays within in the 75th percentile of all companies; that is they pay better than nearly three-quarters of anyone out there but naturally there are still jobs that pay better. Salary is competitive; you are a salaried employee and paid bi-weekly (Around $1800), plus you receive a hefty signing bonus (Around $2500) which helps cover everything from moving costs to rent. They also reimburse for nearly every business related expense such as mileage, parking, or even meals. Also, you will probably work well over 40 hours each week in this role. The good news is that you get overtime, which is 1.5x your base rate broken down to hourly rate($22 to $33). You can finish the summer with a nice chunk of change, and go back to school living like a king.

Consideration for full-time employment.

When I say consideration, I mean that this internship is your interview. Depending on how you preform throughout the summer, you will be offered a full time position as an SDL designate/Sales Associate. You will spend a lot of time with both of these positions, so you should have a pretty clear understanding of what the job entails by the culmination of your internship. PepsiCo has a very structured training and advancement program; you can expect to spend a few years in each role before moving up. Overall, it’s an excellent place to start your career.

Cons

Too much Independence.

Yes, too much of anything is a bad thing. After your initial onboarding orientation and maybe 1-2 weeks of route rides and shadowing SDL’s, you’re on your own. You visit customers by yourself, you go to the office by yourself, and you spend a majority of your time alone. You can leave when you want and get to the office when you want, as long as you get your work done. No one will be telling you what to do. Also, if you finish your work early or quickly, you might have absolutely nothing to do, and there is little accountability regarding the quality or standard of work. (Example, I am writing this lengthy review at the end of my day!) More structure and oversight wouldn’t kill us. Overall, this was pretty cool for me but if you’re the type of person who needs to be pushed to get things done, you will struggle here. Also, not every zone is the same so depending where you are located you may have varying degrees of independence.

Lack of direction, little power to implement changes.

This was true for nearly every intern I spoke with, you WILL NOT have much guidance on how to accomplish the goals of your project. I sat down with my boss a total of six times throughout the entire summer, and most of that was just a recap of what I have done so far. It’s fairly obvious that this is intentional; they want to see how you preform without much managerial oversight. Most of the roles within the company are highly autonomous anyway, so it makes sense from this manner. The most frustrating part however is that it can be challenging to get any of the changes you want made to the business made in a timely manner. Everyone is simply too busy with their own job to pick their head up and take some time out of their day to help the intern. This can prove to be incredibly stressful, particularly when the possibility of an offer hinges on if an SDL can help you finish a sale with a customer!

Work-Life Balance.

This isn’t necessarily a con for some people, but I’ll put it here. The unofficial mantra of this company is “work hard, play hard”. Everyone from the senior leadership team to the front line guys will work anywhere between 10-13 hours every day. 60+ hour weeks are common, and you may start working anywhere between 3am-6am. As an intern the work wasn’t piled on quite as heavily, but if you accept a full time position, be prepared. This job is not for everyone, it will wear some people down.

Long term prospects for the company.

This is one of my biggest hesitations with coming to work here. Overall, consumers have been shifting away from “unhealthy” foods, and that’s essentially the entire core business of PepsiCo. Products such as Doritos, Frito’s, Lays, Cheetos, and everything on the beverage side of the business are filled with fats, sugar, sodium, and they’re terrible for you. While some divisions have been slowly diversifying into “healthier” options, the core of our business is still mostly based on junk food. Consumer reactions to our new healthy innovation products have been mixed, and the food industry as a whole is saturated and competitive making it exceedingly difficult to expand into these other niche markets. This is a long term strategic issue, and I believe the senior leadership will have to make some very tough decisions about the direction and future of the company within the next decade or so.

Overall, the program is very well structured. It’s very obvious that PepsiCo is making an investment in us as interns, and it truly doesn’t go unnoticed. You do feel important and valued here, and the “I’m just an intern” excuse is non-existent. However, make sure that there is ample support from wherever you place interns. Yes, you hired us with the intention of making an impact on the company, but if we aren’t given the tools or the expertise needed to make that impact, how can we be expected to reach our full potential? Relevant sales training, appropriate overview of the core products, and the equipment to look for in a store are all areas which you should give us more of a background in.

The program is fairly new (I’m in the second year the program has existed), so I fully anticipate that it will adapt and change over time. As a company, I feel the leadership team does an excellent job driving sales and increasing share, but in the long run as I said before the company will need to adapt its core product offerings and market strategy.

Sales rep

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I spent almost 20 years with Frito Lay, I can say they have great benefits.Sometimes paid well

Cons

No family life
    Too many hours