PerkinElmer
www.perkinelmer.com Waltham, MA 5000+ Employees

Stay Away!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Shelton, CT

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some good non-manager people in this organization.

ConsAllow me to paint a picture.

Imagine a Gong Show hybrid LOTR scenario in which each and every month the President holds a meeting in which all managers have to present updates on the status of their departments and products (called MOR). This is against a back drop of continuous rounds of layoffs, severe understaffing and no employee development, Now these managers entire existence revolves around making sure the MOR goes well and will create all sorts of fiction, misdirection, songs and dances so that the gong does not go off on them while under the Eye of Sauron. If you do not paint a rosy picture during the MOR.....Gong! Employees just disappear around here at an astonishing rate....Now you see them now you don't!

Underscoring this is the fact that the company is so internally screwed up. Outdated SAP system, that has been so jerry rigged over the years that today the only thing keeping it from collapsing is rubber bands and bubble gum.

Internal processes are not mapped SOPs do not exist.

Job descriptions do not exist.

Organizational Chart does not exist.

Additionally:

Senior Management as other people have noted is a good 'ol boys club employees input not welcome. In fact employees are not valued at all.

Senior Management managing for the next quarter to boost the stock as much as they can. No long term goals no appreciation for science or creating good products.

Low salarys. No opportunities for advancement.

A completely demoralized work force who's main career goals (besides leaving for a better company) are to avoid the next round of layoffs. Like the board game Survivor.

I apologize that my picture is so ugly and negative.

All of us working here wish someone would have painted us this picture so that we could of avoided working for Perkinelmer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's the point?

Adequate

Finance Director (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Decent benefits, clear career progression, but easy to get thrown… Cons: less rear view mirror watching, more windshield time Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Writing reports and presentations for supervisors and management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good benefits, I liked and miss the people. I got… Cons: Spending to much time writing reports and presentations. This time would be better spent working in the lab. Conflicts between instrument division and reagent division.… Advice to Senior Management: Good Luck. – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on PerkinElmer.

Worked for PerkinElmer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PerkinElmer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PerkinElmer CEO Rob Friel. All reviews posted anonymously by PerkinElmer employees.