Stay Away!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Shelton, CT
Current Employee - Product Manager in Shelton, CT

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good non-manager people in this organization.

Cons

Allow me to paint a picture.

Imagine a Gong Show hybrid LOTR scenario in which each and every month the President holds a meeting in which all managers have to present updates on the status of their departments and products (called MOR). This is against a back drop of continuous rounds of layoffs, severe understaffing and no employee development, Now these managers entire existence revolves around making sure the MOR goes well and will create all sorts of fiction, misdirection, songs and dances so that the gong does not go off on them while under the Eye of Sauron. If you do not paint a rosy picture during the MOR.....Gong! Employees just disappear around here at an astonishing rate....Now you see them now you don't!

Underscoring this is the fact that the company is so internally screwed up. Outdated SAP system, that has been so jerry rigged over the years that today the only thing keeping it from collapsing is rubber bands and bubble gum.

Internal processes are not mapped SOPs do not exist.

Job descriptions do not exist.

Organizational Chart does not exist.

Additionally:

Senior Management as other people have noted is a good 'ol boys club employees input not welcome. In fact employees are not valued at all.

Senior Management managing for the next quarter to boost the stock as much as they can. No long term goals no appreciation for science or creating good products.

Low salarys. No opportunities for advancement.

A completely demoralized work force who's main career goals (besides leaving for a better company) are to avoid the next round of layoffs. Like the board game Survivor.

I apologize that my picture is so ugly and negative.

All of us working here wish someone would have painted us this picture so that we could of avoided working for Perkinelmer.

Advice to Management

What's the point?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Adequate

Former Employee - Finance Director in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, clear career progression, but easy to get thrown off track

Cons

less rear view mirror watching, more windshield time

Advice to Management

none

All decisions are political

Current Employee - Operations in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Operations in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The rank and file workers are great, I made a lot of friends and connections there. The work is interesting, and I was able to do some fun projects with my peers.

Cons

No matter how well you do or potential you show there is no way you will get a decent raise or salary track. If you start off at a lower salary you will remain there. Business decisions are all political or financial. They attempt to standardize all business platforms for the companies they acquire regardless of whether it will work for the particular unit.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they are saying things are going wrong, the people that run the day to day are actually pretty smart and deserve to be heard. Paying below median salaries as a corporate policy does more to alienate workers than increase profits.