PerkinElmer

www.perkinelmer.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for PerkinElmer

PerkinElmer is a good company that could be better

Former Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is strong in several areas of Environment and Health
They have a wide portfolio spanning a broad set of sectors in both areas
OneSource is innovative and a potential asset

Cons

Salaries are low in general, especially in the Boston area
Very much focused on the bottom line
Reactive to quarterly performance
You have to wonder if they are spread too thin across somewhat disparate areas and seeing limited synergies across sectors. would a break up (as suggested by several analysts) make more sense at this time?

Set the vision and don't let the last quarter cause reflexive reaction
Rewarding staff success needs to become a higher priority and better funded

133 Other Employee Reviews for PerkinElmer (View Most Recent)

What a demoralizing career experience

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented, hardworking employees at PerkinElmer. I have learned much from our senior, non-managerial staff, that has greatly enhanced my knowledge in the industry. Other than individual contributors (which are either being terminated or running for the hills), there is not a positive attribute to the “company” in general.

Cons

Where should I start?

An environment of blind obedience and mind numbing incompetence is the best way to describe the “leadership” of this organization. From the bottom to the top, no need to apply if you have the desire to make a marked improvement to the organization or have the ability to have a logical thought.

From the field to the offices in Shelton, the work culture is toxic. Between the backdrop of constant layoff, managers trying to cover their own back by blaming the working minions for their poor decisions, questionable ethnics, and the lowest quality products in the industry—You have a workforce that’s only goal is to find a better career.

Sorry to be negative, I wish someone would have painted this picture for me 5 years ago before I left an industry leader to join the ranks at this “dog and pony show”. It has gotten so bad at this organization there have been days I just cannot make myself come to work: I got to the office, pulled in, sat in my car: watched others walk in with heads down, looks of misery on their faces, and just called in a PTO day.

**what is the point**

Only a matter of time before it implodes

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really capable people. Great industry.

Cons

The environment is dismal. People's skills are completely under utilized. There is little coherence or clarity of direction. Layoffs happen every six months. It is clear that they are just shuffling assets and numbers each month to make the quarterly results. Senior managers are in a complete bubble, inaccessible, and make obscene amounts of money when compared to similar companies in the industry. I worked there for a number of years and interacted a fair bit with senior managers there. It is pretty clear that the company is operated to enrich senior managers at the expense of employees who are payed well below industry standards, are made carry way more than the norm for costs for healthcare insurance, and receive little to no investment in personal development.

You should be ashamed of yourselves

There are newer employer reviews for PerkinElmer