Perkins Coie

There are newer employer reviews for Perkins Coie

Mid-size PNW law firm - IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very proud of their "Best Places to Work" rating, do make efforts to have social events, engage employees with volunteer efforts and community work.

Cons

Salaries are average, the scale of the enterprise had surprisingly little mobility, lots of hoops to jump through in order to get training or advance your skills. Company culture is socially liberal but conservative in terms of how long it takes to effect change. Is becoming more corporate in recent years, which has led to increased expectations without better tools to effect those changes on the time frame demanded. And yes, I do mean demanded.

Reorgs do not mean change - listen to those doing the grunt work at the bottom of the heirarchy and try to integrate their suggestions to make meaningful change instead of appeasing attorneys. The attorneys will benefit in the end, but they need to broaden their worldview to see potential benefits that may not appear immediate.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Perkins Coie (View Most Recent)

Unless you're an attorney- Do NOT work here.

Current Employee - Former Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Former Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I took a job at Perkins based on their amazing ratings, their best places to work rating, and was excited about their benefits package. I was working for a specific department in the Chicago office- and I was excited about my job description. On the whole, the people in other departments, seemed very nice. They seemed down to earth, and didn't complain about their jobs. They seemed to enjoy them. Attorneys were nice to lower-level employees and I didn't see any Divas- except in my department, which I will not name. The company did do nice things for their employees and they did indeed treat them well with lots of food and free drinks, (and nice Christmas presents). I had my own office and I thought I had hit the jackpot. On the whole, the company is great.

Cons

The "pros" ended the minute I actually began work. My first day on the job, someone from another department came into offer his condolences that I would be working under my particular boss. That was the first of many many warnings about my department. I brushed them off and told myself that I would be fine with hard work and dedication. In the months that followed, the warnings proved true and worse. My department went through several employees, I watched them get belittled in front of coworkers, and berated in front of people, I was called in to several "meetings" to discuss performance without any benchmarks or prior knowledge that these meetings were going to happen, and then yelled at for hours without having an opportunity to say a word. I did not get to use my vacation (that I had earned) to go home for the holidays, even though all of my bosses left, and there was no work to be done. I was left alone without management for weeks at a time, and told nothing- and projects were expected when they returned. What projects? I have no clue. My managers were a "Club"- and they were frightening. Employees moved out of the way when they walked down the hall. I am still so afraid of them, that I barely wrote this review, and I refuse to name their department.

Despite being new and entry level, they provided no training and expected senior level work from me, with deadlines that were outrageous. When I didn't meet expectations, they huffed and puffed at me, yelled at me, and berated me. My particular department was tight knit, and other than the three main employees, has been a revolving door for years. It was a nightmare. I saw three people leave while I was there. I saw a 60 year old admin assistant get yelled at by a 30 year old manager who berated her in front of a group. A large group. To say that it was horrific is an understatement. I hated working there every single day. Some projects I had to put my life on hold for (including vacations) and then when they were turned in (with their tight deadlines) my managers ignored them for weeks until it was "convenient for them". As if the deadline hadn't mattered at all, and I basically had put my life on hold to work for nothing.

My managers were so rude to fellow employees, to anyone, even to people at restaurants. They walked around with chips on their shoulders that were obvious. They pressured you into agreeing with them, they often shouted at people when we went out together. They are very rich, and openly speak out about "manners" and "etiquette" when they truly have none. I once saw my manager actually call a waiter by a horrendous name, and go on about his incompetence loudly right in front of him. The guy had seriously done nothing wrong.

I am a good employee and I can tell you that I am very happy at my new company, where I've been for two years. All I have to say is that if you get offered a job here, research your superiors. Look them up on google, and in other places to see what you find. Ask around. Ask to come back during your interview to speak to other employees and see the company culture. Ask about their management style. I didn't, and boy- do I regret it. It was so bad that I quit about six months in, and HR actually offered me a package, because they knew how bad it was. I recommend that if you are not being hired as an attorney here, you do your research. And you have a back-up plan to get out.

Kindness goes a long way. A LONG WAY.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Systems Operation Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Operation Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a collegiate atmosphere in the IT / systems department. The new CIO has turned the IT department around in the past few years.

Cons

On call two to three times per year, which usually means little sleep on those weeks. Outage window on Saturday nights, so a fair amount of weekend work is required in IT. Projects can take some time to get approved.

There are newer employer reviews for Perkins Coie