Good Company

Former Employee - Project Management in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Perma-Fix Environmental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Pay and Benefits. Great people to work with in the project fields. Beautiful working conditions. Good company culture.

Cons

Poor Management, Stifles Progress. management is removed and centralized in Atlanta and rarely makes appearances at supporting facilities. company has suffered a recent downturn in work load.

Advice to Management

Listen to subordinates and become more involved in supporting facility operations. Build on project based operations and B&D.

Other Employee Reviews for Perma-Fix Environmental

1. Document Control Clerk

Current Employee - Document Control in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Document Control in Richland, WA

I have been working at Perma-Fix Environmental full-time

Pros

Superb co-workers, positive working environment.

Cons

Pay is way below average.

Advice to Management

yearly raises. reevaluate positions and pay at the current market rate for each position.

2. Long term former employee

Former Employee - Project Management in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Perma-Fix Environmental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pro's were that the co-workers worked together as a team to keep the company profitable as well as to try to expand the companies service offerings by acquiring a profitable company (SEC). I liked my co-workers and we had very little turn-over because of the work environment and because the company paid you for your value and gave promotions from within as appropriate and did compensate the employees. Also, we celebrated our successes and had fun at work. I was part of the acquisition and thought it was a good thing until....

Cons

There was a clear lack of involvement from the top level managers (CEO, COO and CFO). If you asked the CEO or CFO any sort of question related to actual contracts we had and the ones we were pursing neither one could have answered in an informed manner. The CEO was NOT engaged in the operation of the company, he started spending a bunch of money on a technology for isotope production that has high risk and no ROI for years (still none) and a better technology and company is beating PESI to the "market" with the isotope technology necessary to fulfill the global needs. The acquired company (SEC) was supposed to expand the company's "tool chest" but then the CEO was distracted with promoting the stock and with isotope production so he ignored the entire company allowing a complete failure of integrating SEC with the PESI waste company. When the companies cash had been used up on the istope R&D as well as paying for all of the mismanaged firm fixed price projets which occurred under his managmengt, he was forced to lay-off 70% of the managing staff and employees that actually performed the work necessary to #1 win work and #2 perform work on existing contracts, and #3 pursue new opportunities. He refused to invest in human capital necessary to make the SEC acquisition successful and then From what I understand now, most of the SEC staff have been let go. Since SEC was a service organization, terminating the people that had the technical know-how basically made the acquisition null. They might as well have spent the money on lottery tickets and been better off.

Advice to Management

Get a new board of directors that understands the business and that will not allow further mismanagement of this company. I cannot give advice to management because they are the problem. I left before the company entered into the death spiral that it is in now. It is sad. The people that work there are smart and hard working (or at least the ones I worked with were) Management has to control the CEO and the Board of Directors has to get involved before it is too late. It is a publically traded company, I don't know how it is being tolerated by the shareholders.