Perry Ellis International

www.pery.com
  www.pery.com
There are newer employer reviews for Perry Ellis International

It's a good first job and it pays more than minimum

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Perry Ellis International

Pros

fairly laid back
great customer service
pleasant atmosphere
small staff
work well with school schedule
knowledgeable management
supervisors are very approachable

Cons

small staff = less flexibility
no job training
expected to be knowledgeable about inventory with out having prior instruction
inconsistent procedures from supervisor to supervisor
sick days are not allowed

Please offer some formal job training. I had to flounder quite a bit before I was able to get the hang of the job.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Perry Ellis International (View Most Recent)

Learning experience

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International

Pros

The corporate office in Miami has a laid back corporate culture. Because the corp office is relatively small, there is a lot of cross functional participation in meetings, projects, etc. Opportunity to implement solutions and best practices. Overall, management is focused on driving sales. The CEO personally met with my entire team, from the division president down to the assistants every quarter.

Cons

The biggest con is the salary below the director level. I had to take a 20% pay cut upon being hired with a promise that I would be moved into a higher level position to get back to my previous salary, even though I held the same position at my previous company. The turnover at PE is ridiculous, which I accredit to the terrible salary and the poor quality of many directors and VPs. Mgmt tends to lack leadership, although there are few bright spots. Employees are treated like children, emails sent out by HR explaining that employees are arriving to work too late (even though directors and VPs arrive to work as late as 10:30) and that the cafeteria is closed after 3pm because of employees taking long breaks. Clockwatching amongst managers is ridiculous. Half the parking lot is "reserved." There is even a parking spot for "board of directors." Lots of weird policies and procedures, especially regarding technology and travel.

Focus on developing leadership and management of directors and above, equitable pay in relationship to other companies, focus on hiring good people...stop hiring family friends...they will run your business into the ground. 360 feedback in reviews...you'll be surprised at what you find out about your people if reviews were from subordiates, colleagues and superiors.

Good company to work at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Perry Ellis International

Pros

Overall it is very stable and diversified. Good balance of business across various lifestyle apparel groups and channels of distribution. Pay is good. You have the latitude to get you job done the best way you see fit. You are held accountable for decisions but you are allowed to make them. The company is large enough and stable enough not to be purchased by someone larger.

Cons

It's sometimes run too mom and pop for such a large organization.

Continue to seek qualified expertise outside of the South Florida employee base. Especially for Sr. mgt.

There are newer employer reviews for Perry Ellis International