Perspectives Charter Schools

www.perspectivescs.org
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Perspectives Charter Schools

I learned how to be a team player while working at Perspectives Charter School.

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Perspectives Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons for working with Perspectives was the people are like family.

Cons

I did always like the decisions management made within the company.

Advice to Management

Talk with the employess and get their ideas regarding changes to the organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Perspectives Charter Schools

1. Teacher

I have been working at Perspectives Charter Schools full-time

Pros

You get an ok paycheck

Cons

Hi I worked for Perspectives Charter School for a few years. It is also one of the worst school's in the Chicago land area to work for. The founders Kim Day, Diana Cose are buddy buddy with the Mayor Rahm Emanuel ( who is plagued with problems with the Teachers Union in Chicago) and so have no problem getting charter school's approved. They are professional beggars who get funds from wealthy donors, to pay themselves and their hand picked executives wealthy salaries. Once they get the funds they expense everything personal ( like cars, cell phones, furniture) to the the school accounts without any oversight. There was so much micromanagement, that they tracked Teacher's login times (into their Student Information system) what time they were logging in at, what were the average test scores of the students tehy were teaching etc, so they can weed out the average workers from the Overworked ones. The CEO Rhonda Hopps came and let go of half the administrative staff within the first two years. because they are trying to run the school's like a business (with profits for the executives) with a hack and slash budget, with no regard whatsoever for people's jobs. One of the school secretaries they let go, after the poor lady worked there for 10 straight years, without any valid reason. You have to remember that The CEO Rhonda Hopps, and other executives of these Charter school, are paying themselves around 300K and above as salaries, and they fool young college kids, or people desperate for job, to work at these charter school's and put in 60-90 hours per week for what comes out to below minimum wage, while they pay themselves exorbitant undeserved salaries These Charter school's try to indoctrinate you in their so called vision , ( Our's was called a Disciplined Life) and they want the teachers and students to repeat this mindlessly. Teachers are expected to memorize and repeat verbatim, and if you find a problem with the poor working conditions, they chastise you for not accepting their so called vision, and eventually will find a reason to let you go. Anyone who ever voiced their opinion about the way things were run, were immediately let go at teh school, and the executives used to discuss in their meetings, that if someone was raising concern about poor working conditions then start making up stuff and put it in their HR file so they could 'comfortably' let the person go. In conclusion do not work for, support, send your kids to a Charter School. They treat their employees like crap, and misuse resources. All at the expense of tax payers. The executives (Rhonda Hopps, Kim Day, Diane Cose) at these school's are all crooks, who are professional beggars asking for funds. They expect everyone working at the school to sacrifice time and pay, but yet these hypocrites pay themselves outrageous salaries. They open up schools in poor neighborhood's and think they are doing a service but they are only servicing their back pockets. Remember the only reason Charter school's are opening up, is to undermine the Teacher's union( Which tries to protect employee's), and the more we support them, the less jobs there are in the public school sector for us average folk. Please post Thanks. Anonymous.

2. Horrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Perspectives Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with great teachers that motivated one another. I also enjoyed teaching wonderful students.

Cons

Teachers were not treated as professionals. All teachers were observed one to three times a week in their classrooms, even with years of experience. There were meetings nearly every morning and also every Friday afternoon. Administrators were very disrespectful and unappreciative to faculty/staff and often talked down to them. Administrators pass you in the hallways without even smiling or saying hello. There were no disciplinary consequences for students that misbehaved; teachers were expected to teach and deal with all discipline problems. However, students misbehaving was at times too much to handle and there was no one willing to help. If a referral was written for a student by a teacher, an administrator would send an email back basically stating that you need to deal with it. Hugh turn over rate because most new teachers leave after their first year. Administrators would try to force you to go on overnight trips as if your job depended on it. Note to administrators: You cannot force educated professionals to do such things they might not agree with, especially when they are married or have kids. After working at a new school, I finally feel like a real professional that is respected and can finally say that I enjoy my career.

Advice to Management

Respect your teachers and employees, because you will not succeed without them.